Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why do some people claim draft beer gives a headache?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman View Post
http://www.marker20.com/menus/beer.htm

I found this interesting:

They even have Bud Light on Nitrogen. I'd be curious to see how it pours. And what is up with their list of 'wierd' beers?
Labatt's is a wiered beer, as is anchor steam???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #22
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Bottled beer (consumed from the bottle) retains a ton more carbonation than a pint that has been drawn from a tap.

Drinking a highly carbonated beverage will fill you up faster.

It's much easier to quaff higher quantities of a smoothed out beer from an open glass, than trying to suck out fizzy beer from a small (bottle) opening.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Beer snobs like me pour bottled beer into a glass, so I guess it's no different then draft.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

This topic grabbed my attention, though not because I get headaches from draft beer. I had a measly four bottles of my homebrew Saturday night - two each of two different beers - and had a hellatious headache all morning on Sunday. Now I can easily drink a bottle of wine or mead and feel great the next morning so this headache had me puzzled.

I looked online and found a reply to a similar question. The reply was given by Ed Westemeier, "Award-winning beer writer, columnist, and brewing consultant, as well as Grand Master Beer Judge."

There is a chemical that causes headaches for about 1 person in every 15. It's a natural byproduct of certain strains of brewer's yeast, not something that is added to the beer. Switching to the products of a different brewery that uses a different strain of yeast for their fermentation will often clear up the problem.

Even though the breweries that have this difficulty are aware of it, they don't change their yeast because doing so would also change the flavor of their beer.

I should mention that every strain of brewer's yeast produces this chemical byproduct, but only a few of them have it at such a high level that it affects people. The Anheuser-Busch breweries just happen to be one of the highest.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #25
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Beer snobs like me pour bottled beer into a glass, so I guess it's no different then draft.
Right. But most people downing $1.00 bottles at happy hour are drinking from the bottle.

That nice head you get when you pour your bottle into a glass is what helps make the beer more enjoyable for snobs like us.

Bottle drinkers are consuming that extra CO2...usually on top of salty pretzels or chicken wings.

I just chalk it up to higher consumption levels for draft drinkers.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #26
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
This topic grabbed my attention, though not because I get headaches from draft beer. I had a measly four bottles of my homebrew Saturday night - two each of two different beers - and had a hellatious headache all morning on Sunday. Now I can easily drink a bottle of wine or mead and feel great the next morning so this headache had me puzzled.

I looked online and found a reply to a similar question. The reply was given by Ed Westemeier, "Award-winning beer writer, columnist, and brewing consultant, as well as Grand Master Beer Judge."

There is a chemical that causes headaches for about 1 person in every 15. It's a natural byproduct of certain strains of brewer's yeast, not something that is added to the beer. Switching to the products of a different brewery that uses a different strain of yeast for their fermentation will often clear up the problem.

Even though the breweries that have this difficulty are aware of it, they don't change their yeast because doing so would also change the flavor of their beer.

I should mention that every strain of brewer's yeast produces this chemical byproduct, but only a few of them have it at such a high level that it affects people. The Anheuser-Busch breweries just happen to be one of the highest.

A-HA! That explains why Sam Adam's Boston Lager gives me a headache, no matter how little I drink. And I made a batch of homebrew that seemed to do about the same, but chalked it up to me being a hypochondriac. So I ignored it and now I can't remember what recipe it was.

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #27
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post

So, why doesn't he state what this mystery chemical is? Is it fusel alcohols? This hasn't been mentioned here yet (that I saw). I guess different strains of yeast could produce different levels of fusel alcohols (which are known to cause headaches) independent of other factors, but I think it's more fermentation temperature dependent. The warmer you ferment, the more fusels are produced, the greater risk of headache.

Also, doesn't the fact that homebrew is unpasteurized and (usually) unfiltered have something to do with it? Most commercial beer is stripped of nutritional value and yeast, but home brew keeps all of those B Vitamins, etc. I've read that this can decrease hangovers in general, so probably headaches too.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #28
BigNick73
Recipes 

If I had to guess I'd say they add sulfites as a preservative. This is also common in red wine, and gives a nasty headache to those sensitive to it.

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Conditioning: Chocolate Cherry Sweet Stout,Trappist Dubbel, Blonde
Drinking: Irish Red

Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #29
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is in just about every wine you'll ever get unless you buy the special sulfite free stuff.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #30
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

i'd say that everyone has different bodies and different chemicals and compounds will affect us all differently...but most of the time it's just in their heads.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply