Who has the most obscure hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought and sold restored pianos for a living. Had a rotating stock of over 100 pianos (which also included other antique keyboard instruments) on hand at any given time.

Heated storage was not a problem. A friend owned a large industrial complex and leased ample space at a reasonable cost. Humidity was controlled by the building's own system.

I bought and sold restored pianos for a living. Had a rotating stock of over 100 pianos (which also included other antique keyboard instruments) on hand at any given time.

Heated storage was not a problem. A friend owned a large industrial complex and leased ample space at a reasonable cost. Humidity was controlled by the building's own system.

if the building was the Box of Abu-Kar.

I trap. Mostly for coon and fox, but I also specialize in catching beavers and harvesting their castors(anal glands) and skunks and extracting their "essence" to sell. You need to know how to do it right or how to deodorize. :drunk: Believe it or not, the money is worth the hassle!

Now thats a hobby/profession thats moving into extinction. My dad taught me how to trap when I was a boy back in the 1970's. We trapped coyotes, fox, ring tail cat, and bobcat. I remember how challenging it was, especially trapping coyotes. They were so smart.

Being in the desert, we didn't have beaver, but I heard their castor glands were used in perfume and are pretty valuable. But what on earth is the skunk essence used for though?

I brew beer. I bet no one else on here does that!

The higher your post count, the less you brew. ;)

I collect my cat's whiskers and make stuff out of them.

I like to play with the shed whiskers and claws when I find them, and carry them around for good luck and dexterity.

I grow really hot peppers. The dark ones are Chocolate Trinadad Scorpions.

Do you eat the peppers by themselves? I had a piece of raw ghost pepper. Floc that! I like spicy, but I also like the skin in my mouth.

I have a small collection of 14 tarantulas

I was into exotic pets with my dad for a while. Rose and cobalt tarantulas. Some lizards and snakes. Rodents. Wish I pics. No one believes a story about a nine foot Burmese python without pics.

Ive attached a few pics :)

10155213_857182687641455_4037012792085001197_n.jpg

1236887_857182560974801_3783974393549471815_n.jpg

10255215_857182660974791_2661226642279541091_n.jpg

10154286_857182630974794_7039196496424064788_n.jpg

Well, slightly more obscure, but in the same vein, I've collected old computers (servers, workstations, even a supercomputer at one time) for quite some time. Think bigger and older, mostly UNIX based machines from Sun, SGI, DEC and IBM. Biggest and most obscure was the nCUBE/2 which I gave away several years ago. The fellow who I gave it to put a video up of it if you care to get an idea of what I'm talking about:

Any plans on buying a WOPR?
header.jpg

Do you eat the peppers by themselves? I had a piece of raw ghost pepper. Floc that! I like spicy, but I also like the skin in my mouth.

They are flockn' hot. But yea, I eat them raw. These are supposedly hotter than the Ghost Pepper. They are great in eggs. :rockin:

This harvest I dried and use as a seasoning in everything.

Three in the area. I plan to do a destination race next year once our AWESOMELY TERRIBLE class C build is done.

You do not have to race, you know. Spectate, wrench for a team, play team Mom (makes sure folks eat and hydrate and remember to pee...ours is a 50 year old guy), be a crew chief.

Please, PM me if you are even SLIGHTLY interested. We are doing our current build in Crete, IL and the next race is in South Haven, MI in April. We always have extra space for passengers and almost always have extra RV space for hangers-on. If nothing else, good excuse to get fed well and drink other peoples beer.

You can also meet Wally-the-not-so-Wonderdog. paddock pup extraordinaire, now team captain (I was removed by poplar internet vote) and as a 15 year old Bernese Mountain Dog...miracle of modern science. Also, notorious bratwurst thief, seeker of bacon and chick magnet.

Hmm... PM incoming...

Any plans on buying a WOPR?
header.jpg

If it existed and I had the chance, at one time I would have. Now the most I would do would be help find someone who does want to "rescue" it. I've been getting rid of everything that's too large to carry myself. I just haven't been spending any time with the computer collection for several years, other than moving them from place to place, which isn't very fun, so i've been passing them on to others who are more interested in playing with them.

Kind of obscure around here, but I practice the Korean sword art of Kumdo and Kum Bup.

We wear armor and spar with bamboo swords called Jukdo (or Shinai in Japanese Kendo), and also do battlefield patterns and forms with a Mokgum (or bokken).

It's great, but seem to get a lot of puzzled looks when I explain it to someone.

Martial arts for me too: San Miguel Eskrima, Xing Yi Quan, Estacada. Xing Yi is the least obscure on the list - and it's pretty obscure, lol.

On the same general topic, I get into the occasion duel. That is to say that I participate is full contact armoured steel sword fighting. Good times. Deceptively both relaxing and therapeutic. I'll link a couple photos or videos when our site is back up and running properly.

I enjoy tapping trees. Yes you heard right. Every spring i get this urge to go tap into perfectly good maples trees. And then collect the sweet nectar they provide. Insane amount of time goes into this hobby. even though it is only once a year and can last couple months. I spend every awake moment boiling tree sap. While holding down a very long work week! But If you like what you do then it is not work! I also use the tree sap as my water base for making beer. Has a sugar content of about 2% per gallon on average.

I grow tomatoes, peaches, apples, figs, mangos, peppers, asparagus, lemons, limes, oranges, apples, and 186 grape vines in my home vineyard. I grow and breed wild and feral grapevines with domesticated varieties to create improved varieties.

Freshwater fishing almost every day for largemouth, and recently Peacock bass. Offshore fishing, targeting mostly Wahoo and Mahi mahi (game/eating fish), making and rigging my own lures, plus I was top angler in a prestigious Sailfish tournament.

Not long ago I was a champion full-steel (live steel) armored combatant, Kendo/Iaido student, before that the southeast regional champion in knock-down (Kyokushinkai) karate, and I've trained in Jujitsu (Japanese and Brazilian), and Shaolin 5 Animals Kungfu.

Also amateur weightlifting and strongman, olympic lifting, make my own fishing lures, bows (and arrows), darts, spears, knives, and I'm a darn good cook, mostly roasting, BBQ, smoking, pizza, and of course, making beer, and wine from my own grapes and ones we pick from other vineyards.

For fun I write stories and screenplays, and today I assembled a chainsaw and went crazy on some invasive Brazilian Pepper trees and other trees in my back acreage.

I'm all about hobbies! Now as for what I do for a living... :)

I grow tomatoes, peaches, apples, figs, mangos, peppers, asparagus, lemons, limes, oranges, apples, and 186 grape vines in my home vineyard. I grow and breed wild and feral grapevines with domesticated varieties to create improved varieties.

Freshwater fishing almost every day for largemouth, and recently Peacock bass. Offshore fishing, targeting mostly Wahoo and Mahi mahi (game/eating fish), making and rigging my own lures, plus I was top angler in a prestigious Sailfish tournament.

Not long ago I was a champion full-steel (live steel) armored combatant, Kendo/Iaido student, before that the southeast regional champion in knock-down (Kyokushinkai) karate, and I've trained in Jujitsu (Japanese and Brazilian), and Shaolin 5 Animals Kungfu.

Also amateur weightlifting and strongman, olympic lifting, make my own fishing lures, bows (and arrows), darts, spears, knives, and I'm a darn good cook, mostly roasting, BBQ, smoking, pizza, and of course, making beer, and wine from my own grapes and ones we pick from other vineyards.

For fun I write stories and screenplays, and today I assembled a chainsaw and went crazy on some invasive Brazilian Pepper trees and other trees in my back acreage.

*scoffs* yeah, but do you collect rare animal feces?:mug:

I play tournament foosball (table soccer). It was popular back in the 70's and early 80's, but seems to be dying off. I even run a tournament at a local bar once a week when we can get enough players out and am planning a trip up to Nebraska for a bigger tournament next month.

Aight you win. I'll put mine down anyway but I can't compete with that.

I have far too many hobbies, but as for unusual I play trombone and trumpet in a Cumbia group. Playing trumpet in one is not unusual, but I bet I'm one of the only guys around who plays much Cumbia on trombone (there's quite a bit of bone in, say, Salsa, but . I also transcribe music for the group, I'm the arranger/transcriber/punching-bag. This is difficult because I don't even speak a lick of Spanish and they don't really speak English for the most part.

I play scenario paintball. 24-48 hour games with avg of 200 players or more. including armored vehicles and NERF rocket launchers. I play with The Bad Monkeys scenario team out Orlando, Fl.
I also play bass guitar and ukulele. :rockin:

On every other forum I'd say "I brew beer." :D

I'm kinda an A/V geek. And into home automation. Makes brewing look cheap, to say the least :drunk:

I fly fish for tiny native trout in the high elevations of the southern Appalachians. This is not the fly fishing you think of with expensive guided trips & pipe smoking old men. Nor is it the pacific north west gnarly dude steelhead crowd. Not even somewhere in between the 2.

It usually involves a full weekend of backpacking minimal gear in to a tiny, rarely used campsite, and spending the entire weekend battling razor sharp rhododendron leaves and getting stung by countless yellow jackets just to catch a fish like this one:

IMGP0016_zps69c4e4cf.jpg

While it's been a profession and my business in the past, I forecast the weather. My local weather podcast that ran for 7+ years had more single episodes produced than any other podcast in history (to that point). Since moving to Indy, I've let that go. However, I still forecast. One fun time was while my son was in NICU. We had a tornado warning that included the hospital. I was able to assure the staff that if there was a tornado, it would pass 8 miles from the facility and that they did not need to pull everyone away from the outside walls.

Along those lines, I am also an old-school storm chaser (since before anyone knew about it), but rarely go out as A: I'd rather be with my family, and B: There are too many idiots out there wanting to be the next person to see a house get ripped apart instead of trying to keep those people safe.

I fly nitro powered radio controlled helicopters, fly fish, rebuild and enjoy a/c Volkswagen "Things", mess with vintage Harleys, collect and enjoy old vinyl, love old watches, and most of all I enjoy spending most waking hours with my two babies Gerty and Farah..my littermate choco labs!!

While it's been a profession and my business in the past, I forecast the weather. My local weather podcast that ran for 7+ years had more single episodes produced than any other podcast in history (to that point). Since moving to Indy, I've let that go. However, I still forecast. One fun time was while my son was in NICU. We had a tornado warning that included the hospital. I was able to assure the staff that if there was a tornado, it would pass 8 miles from the facility and that they did not need to pull everyone away from the outside walls.

Along those lines, I am also an old-school storm chaser (since before anyone knew about it), but rarely go out as A: I'd rather be with my family, and B: There are too many idiots out there wanting to be the next person to see a house get ripped apart instead of trying to keep those people safe.

What do you think about Juno? I keep hearing 22"+ here in Central MA.

Wow! There are a lot of good ones out there!
More than a few I would not mind at least trying (the 24 hour of lemons seems like a lot of fun). Animal feces/skin peel collecting I think I could leave for others to enjoy...

Personal favourit so far though would be
I melt bronze at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
Not quite so exciting as some others.

In terms of uniqueness and passion. But that is just my opinion, of several worthy contestants :)

What do you think about Juno? I keep hearing 22"+ here in Central MA.
Is that was the Weather Channel is calling this one? Not "Snowpocolapse Alpha Prime" or "Run to the store to buy Bread-mageddon"?
It's really difficult to pin down amounts in a storm like this. There are simply too many scenarios where convective bands of snow will up snow totals in isolated 10 to 20-mile wide bands by 6+ inches. In addition, measuring the snow is going to be difficult just due to blowing and drifting. There will likely be a lot of over-reporting as a result.
I'd say that central MA (such as Springfield) is looking at least 14 inches. How much more than that really depends on where those bands setup and how long you are in one.

Nothing unusual. Brew beer (obviously), camp, fish, yell at kids, and I like to play Chess and have been fighting the urge to assemble a large collection of Chess boards and pieces (I have 3-4 boards but nothing extravagant).

I have been thinking of getting more into fly-fishing and tying my own flies. My dad used to be an avid fly-fisherman and I got some of his gear when he passed away. My boy is a little too young to be doing it but he'll be ready in a year or two, I think.

Now thats a hobby/profession thats moving into extinction. My dad taught me how to trap when I was a boy back in the 1970's. We trapped coyotes, fox, ring tail cat, and bobcat. I remember how challenging it was, especially trapping coyotes. They were so smart.

Being in the desert, we didn't have beaver, but I heard their castor glands were used in perfume and are pretty valuable. But what on earth is the skunk essence used for though?

The skunk essence s used mostly in lure making. All canines are attracted to skunk spray. It is also broken down and used in perfumes too, believe it or not. Most people, 60 some percent, have admitted to liking the smell of skunk, in blind studies. It certainly isn't my favorite. :(

Wow! There are a lot of good ones out there!
More than a few I would not mind at least trying (the 24 hour of lemons seems like a lot of fun)

It is! Finland and other "wild" countries have a lot of "claiming" races that are just as wild but are run in qualifying heats. Not sure Sweden or Norway have any but I know Poland does.

You know, I live adjacent our "Second City" (now third or fourth) which is a great jumping off point for an American vacation. I know your vacation days there...how about an arrive and drive for the Joliet TRUE 24 hours race followed by a long term loan of a Volvo 940 wagon to tour the US in. All I can say is EPIC stories would happen.

Brew ,cook ,hunt ,fish,make sausage,private pilot , but not current because of hearing loss.What?!

Back