Of Budgets and Grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I'm on a pretty tight budget for extra money- $40 for all things brewing and anything else I do a month. This month's money is gone to the last honey I needed for my mead, and a mild I'm brewing with my brother over Thanksgiving.
Then last night I found a great deal on grolsch bottles... $35 for over 60. I've been looking for these for months. But now if I buy them, I'm blowing my budget for next month halfway through this month. So I wouldn't be able to brew at all next month.
So what do I do?

I know what you're saying as to budgets. I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I can't speak for you, but if it's something I've been looking for, and I have the cash I'd get it. For me it would also depend on what my pipeline looks like. If I can skip a month, I'd go for it.

beer man, make the beer, $40 is two batches of beer! i have found that equipment and such comes a distant second to keeping the pipeline filled. think of how much its going to cost you to drink commercial beer if you are out of homebrew. and we all know, we're going to drink beers no matter what.

Do you think you really need them? To me bottles can be had for free....And as neat as flippies are, I'm not a fan of green bottles....green bottles tend to equal skunked crappy beer like heinekin...so it would not be worth it to be to spend my limited brewing budget on flippies...when I could spend it on a batch of beer and have the fun of brewing....which to me is more fun that owning a bunch of bottles.

Check out http://www.freecycle.org/ in your area and even put out a standing request for any grolsh or other beer bottles (fliptop or otherwise) and when they come for free, you will already be drinking that batch of beer you made with the money you saved.

Well I guess it's all a moot point- they've been sold. Oh well...

That's a shame that they sold, man. Grolsch bottles cost over a dollar a pop at one of my local home brew shops.

Latest posts

Back