Potential new grill, how to season and take care of it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
My current grill is about to die and I am looking at the chargriller duo. I understand it should be seasoned well. What is the best way to go about doing it and what else should I do to ensure it lasts a long time? What about taking care of the grill grates?

I have had my Char Griller coming up on 5 years and I still absolutely love it. Do not like cooking with gas so my setup is the charcoal and side fire box, which is used for both grilling and smoking.

Treat the grates like you would a cast iron pan. Gently rub off the pieces stuck to the metal and do not go to town with a steel wire brush. The seasoning will be rubbed off and you will need to recoat and bake. I simply keep a pressurized spray container of olive oil used for frying and lightly coat the racks before cooking. Not only does the metal season itself when this is done, but the food is less prone to stick. Doing this the grates still look new and have zero rust.

Storage wise, mine has been under cover everyday it has not been used. Not in the garage, just the standard grill cover. This year though I did take the wood off and sand/paint/urethane it and made it look brand new again.

I highly recommend this grill to everyone who is a home outdoor grill master.

Back