Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Help wiring my contactors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 207
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Help wiring my contactors

So, I understand the principle of a contactor...and I understand the need for them in my simple 120V 2000W RIMS--in a nutshell, so that I can switch higher currents on/off with my illuminated switches from Auber that are not rated for current as high as that which is required by the 2000W element.

So anyway, now that I've received my contactors in the mail, I need some assistance in getting them wired correctly. I've posted some pictures; the last of which I've labelled with letters A through F. I've included my best guess at the purpose of each connection (A through F). If people could chime in and either confirm or refute, that would really help me out...

Contactor side view:


Contactor side view 2:


Contactor specs:


Contactor top view:


And my best guess at the different terminals:
A - Connects to hot line from terminal strip or other source.
B - Connects to neutral/common line from terminal strip or other source.
C - Connects to switch (though not sure if this side is neutral or hot)
D - Connects to neutral/common line from device (ie, element)
E - Connect hot line leading to device (ie, element)
F - Connects to switch (though not sure if this side is neutral or hot)

__________________
EvilBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
stlbeer
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 886
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

You have a double pole contactor.

For the element...
Wire your 120v HOT from terminal strip to A and from E to your element outlet.
Wire your 120v NEUTRAL from terminal strip to B and from D to your element outlet. - Though you really don't need a contactor on your NEUTRAL, it's up to you. It won't hurt having it.

Your coil connections are on C and F. Wire your 120v HOT from terminal strip to one side of your switch, then from the other side of the switch to the contact. Then wire your 120v NEUTRAL from the terminal strip to the other side of the contactor. You have a maintained switch, right?

Test this out before you add your 240v L1 and L2. Hook up the 120v hot and neutral to the contactor (along with the switch) and you can see it work. Keep your fingers clear of the actuator...

__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 207
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer
Your coil connections are on C and F. Wire your 120v HOT from terminal strip to one side of your switch, then from the other side of the switch to the contact. Then wire your 120v NEUTRAL from the terminal strip to the other side of the contactor. You have a maintained switch, right?
Yup, it's a maintained switch. So, for supplying power to the coil on the contactor, does it matter which side gets hooked to hot/neutral? Just don't want to wire it backward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer
Test this out before you add your 240v L1 and L2. Hook up the 120v hot and neutral to the contactor (along with the switch) and you can see it work. Keep your fingers clear of the actuator...
I'm not actually hooking up L1 and L2 lines...just going to use it for my 120v line that will supply power to the downstream components in my control panel (2000w element and 2 pumps). No issues there, right?
__________________
EvilBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
stlbeer
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 886
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Sorry about the ambiguous post. I thought it was 240v, but before I posted noticed it was 120v and did not get the entire post corrected. SO...sorry about that. Just make sure the wire gauge you use for the element power (terminal strip > SSR > Contactor > Outlet) etc, is appropriately sized for the load.

__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 207
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer
Sorry about the ambiguous post. I thought it was 240v, but before I posted noticed it was 120v and did not get the entire post corrected. SO...sorry about that. Just make sure the wire gauge you use for the element power (terminal strip > SSR > Contactor > Outlet) etc, is appropriately sized for the load.
No problem at all...I appreciate the info. Did you see my followup questions above? Please let me know if you can...thx again
__________________
EvilBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
stlbeer
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 886
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBrewer View Post
No problem at all...I appreciate the info. Did you see my followup questions above? Please let me know if you can...thx again
Let's see, 2000w/120v = 16.7Amps. I'm not sure of the draw on your pumps, but March 809's don't draw enough to worry about. Both will probably be less than an amp.

You didn't mention it in this thread what type of circuit you're running on, but so long as you're running on a dedicated 20amp circuit you'll be fine. This does put you over 80% of a 20amp circuit. If you're using a dedicated 20amp circuit you won't have to worry about tripping your circuit breaker. A word of caution here - do not try to run this on a regular 15amp circuit. The heater element alone will cause it to trip.

Good luck!
__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 207
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer

Let's see, 2000w/120v = 16.7Amps. I'm not sure of the draw on your pumps, but March 809's don't draw enough to worry about. Both will probably be less than an amp.

You didn't mention it in this thread what type of circuit you're running on, but so long as you're running on a dedicated 20amp circuit you'll be fine. This does put you over 80% of a 20amp circuit. If you're using a dedicated 20amp circuit you won't have to worry about tripping your circuit breaker. A word of caution here - do not try to run this on a regular 15amp circuit. The heater element alone will cause it to trip.

Good luck!
Thanks again...and yes, the circuit etc that I'm using is in line with what you described. One question specifically...in wiring the contactor, does it matter which side of the coil gets the hot wire?
__________________
EvilBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
yjfun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, Washington
Posts: 225
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

not on your coil

__________________
yjfun is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
stlbeer
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stlbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Posts: 886
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBrewer View Post
Thanks again...and yes, the circuit etc that I'm using is in line with what you described. One question specifically...in wiring the contactor, does it matter which side of the coil gets the hot wire?
It's an electromagnet. Polarity isn't an issue. Hot on one side and neutral on the other.
__________________
My RIMS eBrewery build
stlbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
EvilBrewer
Begak!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 207
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer

It's an electromagnet. Polarity isn't an issue. Hot on one side and neutral on the other.
Excellent...thanks a lot!
__________________
EvilBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I buy the wrong contactors? BWN Electric Brewing 10 06-08-2012 09:57 PM
Auber Contactors digg1es Electric Brewing 7 04-04-2012 11:33 PM
Contactors cdwiggi Electric Brewing 7 01-05-2012 01:45 PM
contactors? slakwhere Electric Brewing 3 09-13-2011 03:04 PM
Contactors-are some noisier than others? Rhino17 Electric Brewing 2 05-24-2011 03:46 AM