Dual purpose BIAB and HERMS Mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
So I have a electric HERMS with three keggles that works very well and while I love it I cannot easily haul three kegs to a friends house where there is no GFCI spa panel or 240v plug in the garage.

so here is my idea.

I have a great keggle mash tun that has a pickup tube - camlock fittings, thermometer port etc. all the things that make a mash tun a mash tun.

I want to drill two more holes in the keg, solder or weld two more threaded couplings on that will accept heating elements and build a simple control panel for a BIAB system. When I am using keggle as a mash tun for the HERMS I would have some kind of nuts in the holes complete with o rings and teflon tape so no leaking would happen and when I needed to brew else where I could remove them, put the elements in and brew away( using a pump to recirculate wort during the mash).

A friend of a friend can make false bottoms on a CNC machine so I could have the elements down with the pickup tube and separated from the grain and bag by at least a few inches.

Good idea? yes/no?

Yeah, why not? I would consider making the top opening large if it isn't already to make it easier for the bag removal. Also, consider welding Tri-Clamp ferrules on and rig the heating elements via that route and just put blank covers on when you don't need heaters.

Back