Using opened dry lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Reaction score
I have a pack of Saflager S-23 which I opened 2 days ago, only use a small bit and put in the fridge straight after. I might need to use a bit more today for another brew, is it alright to use even though it's been opened?

Cheers

Likely it's fine, best practice is to use fresh as I believe exposure to the air will deteriorate the dry yeast...2 days doesn't seem like a big deal???

I've used open packs of yeast 5 weeks after using the first half with no slowdown at all.

I have used halfa yeast pack before. I just folded the package, taped it shut, ziplocked it, and put it in the fridge. It worked fine when I used it a few weeks later.

I have used halfa yeast pack before. I just folded the package, taped it shut, ziplocked it, and put it in the fridge. It worked fine when I used it a few weeks later.

There's no need to even go through all of that hullaballoo; yeast isn't a fragile organism. Tear the pack open, pour half of it out, fold the top closed and stick it behind the jar of mustard in your fridge. Use it a few months later, no problem.

Back