Transferring Flanders to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
I brewed up my 2010 Flanders Brown a few days ago and have a question about whether it will be ok to age on the primary sediment. I only pitched a smack-pak of Roselare yeast for this beer and now that it's fermenting I noticed a noticeable amount of sediment on the bottom, most of which I can tell is cold break with only a little bit of hop material. I've included pictures for reference. I do plan on aging this beer for 12-15 months.

If you guys do recommend transferring after the krausen falls and before the pectile forms should I re-pitch another pack of Roselare to ensure plenty of yeast for long term aging or will the yeast in suspension suffice?

Thanks.

Flanders_2010_-_3_681x1024_.jpg

Flanders_2010_-_2_1024x681_.jpg

I'm bumping this up to the top. I know there are some sour fermentation experts out there that would have some input. This is only my second sour fermentation and I don't want to screw it up too bad.

I'm gonna bump this one up again for the night crowd. Seriously folks I'll take any type of input at all.

My understanding is that you rack Flanders beers off the cake, but leave lambics.

Thanks a lot. That's pretty much what I planned on doing and will transfer it once the krausen falls. It's chugging along now at a pretty good rate and smells great!

Can anyone give me some insight whether there are enough bugs in suspension for the souring process that when I transfer the beer off the sediment I don't have to pitch another culture? I don't have any problem pitching another Roselare blend but I don't want to mess up the harmony if I don't have to.

Since you did your primary with the Roeselare, I don't think you will need to add more later. My understanding of the process is the saccharomyces will drive the initial fermentation, and then the brett and bugs will take over later. Brett reproduces much more slowly then sacch, but it can utilize complex sugars the other yeasts can't, so it should still have some food left over. It is already in your beer since you used it to do the initial fermentation. I think you need to give it time more then anything else. I have limited experience with sours (working to build it up though!) but that is my understanding from what I have read. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Back