Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Star San leaked into my brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
fozzie14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Star San leaked into my brew

Made the mistake of trying to top off the airlock (using Star San) while it was installed. After a few times squirting the Star San, but it not reaching the fill line on the airlock, I realized that the Star San was going down the airlock into my batch. Lesson learned: Remove airlock and top off, then reinstall. About a couple of tablespoons worth of Star San went into my brew. How will this affect the fermentation and the beer? It's a 5 gallon True Brew Nut Brown Ale, OG:1.051, with Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast 11.5 Grams plus 6 Grams of the Munton's Yeast that came with the kit. Used the lager yeast because the room where it will be fermenting is at a constant 50 degrees F this time of year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
louderthanu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Lol! I just did this as well as long as it was diluted I think you'll be fine, I left a mixture of water and starsan at the bottom of my keg and the first few pulls were watery but then it was fine tastes great no off flavors.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I wouldn't sweat a couple of tablespoons. Too much more than that it might taste a little sour. It would take quite a bit to inhibit the yeast.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

fozzie14 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use Star San in my blow off rig (tube with a 32 ounce cup of sanitizer); and in my air locks once the most vigorous ferment is complete.

Last fall I had a blow off setup with 16 ounces of SS attached to an extremely light beer. I cold crashed it a little too vigorously and wound up with a little more than half of the SS getting sucked back into the fermented beer. Not only did I not get an infection, I was not able to taste anything sour or "off" about the beer.

If your sanitation was otherwise OK, your beer should be good to go.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
fozzie14
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How about more than one airlock?

Any reason people don't install more than one airlock (in a plastic fermenter lid), to prevent yeast clogging a single airlock? To make a blowoff setup, do I just insert one end of a hose in the airlock hole, and put the other end in a container of Star San at a lower level than the fermenter? Why is this better than an airlock? Can't the blowoff hose get clogged as well?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine is not usually an issue of stuff clogging as much as an issue of yeast/trub pushing though the lock. For me at least, a half full large cup or small pitcher with star San makes a good overflow receptacle. Then I just keep an eye on things. When the heaviest part of fermentation is done, I swap out the overflow container with fresh star San or if it has really died back, a standard airlock

Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Two airlocks would be clogged as easily as one. The issue is the diameter of the portion of the airlock that is inserted into the fermenter. My 3 piece airlock has a small X at the tip that is the narrow point. If there is hops and break material in the krausen it would block 1,2, or 30 airlocks. The blowoff has a larger opening and is less likely to get clogged. But, yes the blowoff can get clogged. Just less likely.

Quick Reply