Split Batch, Identical Yeast, Vastly Different Airlock Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I brewed an 11 gallon batch of Vienna Lager on Sunday. Split it into 2 fermenters, and pitched a pack of S-23 into each. One is rolling along strong, and has been since yesterday, but the other shows absolutely no activity. This wouldn't worry me if I hadn't used identical yeast, even the same lot number. I know that airlock activity isn't the best indicator of fermentation, just seems like they would at least be similar.

Did you rehydrate both?
Oxygenate both of the batch?
How were they split into two fermenters? If you filled up one, then the other, you could have different results

some of my buckets dont seal very well and co2 is finding ways to escape, maybe its the same in your case.
I also brewed 10gal batch of belgian double few months ago, split it in two buckets, added half of the starter to each, 3 weeks later one wasnt bubbling at all the other one was chugging for 5 days longer, 5 weeks after brewing and stable fg there was 2 points FG difference between two buckets, go figure

GuldTuborg said:
They're in different fermentors, though, one of which is probably leaking far more air than the other (through something other than the airlock). That would be my guess.

This. Case closed.

Did you rehydrate both?
Oxygenate both of the batch?
How were they split into two fermenters? If you filled up one, then the other, you could have different results

Rehydrated both

did not oxygenate (not necessary per fermentis)

filled one bucket up, then the other, the bucket that I filled 2nd is the one that is showing more activity.

I've never had one to show significantly less activity than the other before, unless I used a different yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back