Normal OG/FG for 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilBrewer

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been posted but I couldn't think of any key words that were unique enough to search for it without returning, well, just about every thread on the site.

Recently brewed a pumpking ale and everything went really well. Hit my starting gravity of 1.063 and pitched my 1.5L starter of 1056.

Quick and vigorous fermentation completed within 3 days or so; final gravity is at 1.011.

Question: Does that seem normal? Seems like a pretty high attenuation even for this yeast strain. Beer Smith says I got 81.6% apparent attentuation and 66.1% Real Attenuation. Wyeast's site says 73-77% attenuation for this strain. Seems like I'm outside that range which makes me nervous.

Mash temp was 152 so I guess I'd expect it to an extent...but just wanted to see. This is the highest attentuation I've gotten in a while using the basic same ingredients for most beers I brew.

I used a larger starter for this batch (previously made starters about half this size), and I also oxygenated the wort using an O2 tank with stone--which I hadn't done before.

The samples I took don't taste bad...just a tad dry. Actually pretty clean though. It's possible that nothing is wrong, but...

Thoughts?

It seems like I get 1.010-1.012 with nearly every "regular" batch I make and use 1056. I don't make huge beers, but usually 1.050-1.075. They all seem to finish at 1.010ish with a 153 degree mash, assuming no weird ingredients (just normal amounts of base malt, crystal malt, etc).

Double check your thermometer also. I had problems and got screwed with it,sorta.

It seems like I get 1.010-1.012 with nearly every "regular" batch I make and use 1056. I don't make huge beers, but usually 1.050-1.075. They all seem to finish at 1.010ish with a 153 degree mash, assuming no weird ingredients (just normal amounts of base malt, crystal malt, etc).

Works for me...thanks. Sounds like a similar style as my beers. Prolly just being worried for nothing.

i also just made an APA two weeks ago, starting OG 1.064(better eff, lead to high og than expected) pitched 1056, kept at 66. FG down to 1.012, which like you said is about 83%. my last three batches have been like this, that 1056 is some really nice stuff

Back