Lhbs gave me 2 vials of wlp078 for free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
What can i brew with these? They were already passed the use by date so they just asked me if i wamted them.

"Marked by a clean, fast fermentation, this strain is ideal for any neutral grain spirit. Alcohol and temperature tolerant. Used in high-gravity beers."

Make 1.010, 1 liter starter with the yeasts to build the viability. Will give you extra time to find a recipe.

"Marked by a clean, fast fermentation, this strain is ideal for any neutral grain spirit. Alcohol and temperature tolerant. Used in high-gravity beers."

Make 1.010, 1 liter starter with the yeasts to build the viability. Will give you extra time to find a recipe.

Should i pitch both vials into the starter?

Both vials could go into a 1 liter starter. There is about 5% to 10% viability in the vials. The growth rate would be about 1.5, with a 1.010 starter.

Keep notes on what you do to use for making a step up starter when you decide to use the yeast.

The only recipe I can find online is one from Randy Mosher for Gratzer.

You don't have a still, do you?

I might try it for a smooth Belgian dubbel to avoid any hints of funk. Bourbon barrel porter also. Need a little Google research.

by what WLP says, i'd be guessing somthing clean without much yeast profile... so think of something where you want the beer to shine (malt or hops) and ferment on the cooler side.

Both vials could go into a 1 liter starter. There is about 5% to 10% viability in the vials. The growth rate would be about 1.5, with a 1.010 starter.

Keep notes on what you do to use for making a step up starter when you decide to use the yeast.

Thank you for your answers and sorry to bother you again, but after the 1010 starter would it be ok to bump up both volume and gravity of the starter? I've just never had to do a starter with such a low gravity, and I don't know how to properly step it up.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I might try it for a smooth Belgian dubbel to avoid any hints of funk. Bourbon barrel porter also. Need a little Google research.

by what WLP says, i'd be guessing somthing clean without much yeast profile... so think of something where you want the beer to shine (malt or hops) and ferment on the cooler side.

Flars but I always thought Belgians got most of the flavor from the yeast?

And rivenin so maybe like a smash? A really really big smash:) and fermenting on the cooler side won't be a problem, I'm having trouble keeping my current brew at 68.

The cell wall structure of the yeast cells will be in better condition after this weak starter is complete. You will be able to step up the cell count with a standard starter of 1.036 to 1.040.
I have been using the Brewers Friend calculator for pitch rates and starters.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/
You can use this calculator to estimate your beginning cell count for the step up.

There is a new calculator in final development by a HBT member.
http://www.homebrewdad.com/yeast_calculator.php

Alright makes sense thank you flars and I'll make sure to checkout homebrewdad yeast calc up till this point it's been brewerers friend.

Latest posts

Back