how to control ferm. without a temp controlled environ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyke

Reaction score
so, i have been doing primary fermentation in a closet, ~72 degrees. i have no way to control the temp at this point. i have noticed that fermentation has been occurring more quickly than anticipated (duh, higher temps), but i have been picking up a slightly undesirable overtone of banana in my recent beers. i am almost positive this is due to the yeast basically over-fermenting. what can i do to fix this, having very little temperature control right now?

Certain yeasts do better than others at higher fermentation temps. For example us-05 does better than s-04.

There are a couple cheap and simple ways to control fermentation temps. Two of the easiest are the swamp cooler method and the water bath method.

Swamp cooler: Put the fermenter in a shallow container filled with a few inches of water. Wrap a t-shirt around the fermenter so that it dips into the water on all sides. The t-shirt will draw the water up from the container onto the surface of the fermenter lowering the temp of your wort about 5 degrees. To get a little cooler, add a small fan pointing at the t-shirt.

Water bath: Put the fermenter in a larger container of water. Drop bottles of frozen water in every few hours to lower the temp.

Option 3 is to move to Moscow where I snowed today and just put your fermentor on your 55 degree balcony ;)

Certain yeasts do better than others at higher fermentation temps. For example us-05 does better than s-04.

There are a couple cheap and simple ways to control fermentation temps. Two of the easiest are the swamp cooler method and the water bath method.

Swamp cooler: Put the fermenter in a shallow container filled with a few inches of water. Wrap a t-shirt around the fermenter so that it dips into the water on all sides. The t-shirt will draw the water up from the container onto the surface of the fermenter lowering the temp of your wort about 5 degrees. To get a little cooler, add a small fan pointing at the t-shirt.

Water bath: Put the fermenter in a larger container of water. Drop bottles of frozen water in every few hours to lower the temp.

Option 3 is to move to Moscow where I snowed today and just put your fermentor on your 55 degree balcony ;)

Option 4 brew Saisons.

Swamp cooler. $10 and a tiny bit of work.

Nottingham is known to be bad for esters at fairly low temps. US-05 is much better at high 60s to low 70s IMO.

1) Swamp cooler.
2) Google "son of fermentation chiller."
3) Brew beer that benefits from higher fermentation temps (saisons).

Oddly enough I just did a saison, and that's where I picked up the off-flavor. Did a DIPA before that, but it was so big it almost entirely hid the banana. I'll try the swamp cooler next time!

I'm in your same boat, and a swamp cooler or water bath is the way to go. My brew room is about 72 ambient, but as long as I start cold and change out the ice bottles in the water bath a few times a day, I can maintain mid 60s pretty well.

You want to be careful with just assuming that because you have a warm brew room, Saison is the way to go. You do want to let it get warm, but over time. I have had nice results from starting in an ice bath for the first day or so, then pulling the carboy out of the ice bath for a few days, and eventually placing the carboy in a blanket or near a floor heater to get it all the way down to final gravity. It's not as smooth of a ramp up as I am sure is ideal, but you can still get a nice dry Saison with well balanced esters. If you just pitch and let it rip, your results probably will not be quite as nice.

is there a recommended vessel for the swamp cooler, or just anything with enough depth to hold the ferm bucket and the water?

is there a recommended vessel for the swamp cooler, or just anything with enough depth to hold the ferm bucket and the water?

I picked up an 18 gallon rope handled tote for mine at Home Depot for less than $5 a month or so ago. It worked just fine. Although it's a bit of a pain to move around with all the water in it solo.

I use a 17 gallon rope handled plastic tub. They're not expensive, and you will never have to rent a keg bucket again.

I used the big rope handled tote for a couple of batches, and it worked fine. I gravitated to the 60 qt Igloo cube because it maintains temperature better (for me) than the rope-tote. With the cube, I only have to change out ice bottles morning and evening for it to maintain water temp within +/- a couple of degrees.

Latest posts

Back