Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hennepin clone fermentation temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrk View Post
How did this work out for you? Also, I'm completely inexperienced culturing yeast but would love to give this a try. Question about your process: why the cold crash step? Did you cold crash it and then pitch both all the liquid and all the yeast that crashed out, or just the yeast cake or just the liquid?
Well I learned some lessons on this one. Generally yeast harvesting has gone very well for me. This particular batch, I should have paid more attention to the fact that my starters were not fully attenuating. Whatever I cultured wasn't the Ommegang yeast. I ended up pitching Wyeast 3711 "the Destroyer" on top of it to finish it out. So my new criteria for successful culturing are:

1) The creamy yeast layer grows
2) No off smells, tastes, or odd growths
3) Fully attenuated

As for cold crashing, I grow my starters pretty warm, so the yeast will throw off all sorts of nasty esters. So I cold crash overnight, pour off the spent wort leaving just enough to resuspend the yeast, and just pitch the yeast.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
evrk
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it was something to do with Hennepin in particular or is it more of bad luck with this batch sort of thing?
I actually recently read something about Ommegang often using a bottling yeast that is different from the fermenting yeast. I'm not sure if they do this for the Hennepin but if they do, I guess it would mess up the culturing process since you would be getting both yeasts.
Has anyone else tried this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Well I learned some lessons on this one. Generally yeast harvesting has gone very well for me. This particular batch, I should have paid more attention to the fact that my starters were not fully attenuating. Whatever I cultured wasn't the Ommegang yeast. I ended up pitching Wyeast 3711 "the Destroyer" on top of it to finish it out. So my new criteria for successful culturing are:

1) The creamy yeast layer grows
2) No off smells, tastes, or odd growths
3) Fully attenuated

As for cold crashing, I grow my starters pretty warm, so the yeast will throw off all sorts of nasty esters. So I cold crash overnight, pour off the spent wort leaving just enough to resuspend the yeast, and just pitch the yeast.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

do you folks know for sure that ommegang uses the same yeast in their Wit and their Hennepin? hennepin is a saison so i'd expect them to use a different yeast. saison yeasts are typically fermented at a higher temp, so the Wit's temps might not be what is needed...

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I believe that Ommegang uses the same strain (the Duvel) for all their beers. I did a hennepin clone a month or so back, and harvested the yeast out of two bottles.

It took a long time for the starter to show any activity, but it finally took off. I kept boosting the temps up towards 80 after the first week or so, and i was able to get it ferment down to about 1.010 so i was pretty happy.

Still in the carboy....so we'll see how it turned out.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
evrk
Recipes 

Oh huh, I didn't know that they used the same yeast for all of them. Have you tried yours yet? I keep going back and forth one whether or not harvesting is the way to go, given the risk that I'd just be harvesting a bottling yeast rather than their fermenting yeast. Let me know how yours turns out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpweeks View Post
I believe that Ommegang uses the same strain (the Duvel) for all their beers. I did a hennepin clone a month or so back, and harvested the yeast out of two bottles.

It took a long time for the starter to show any activity, but it finally took off. I kept boosting the temps up towards 80 after the first week or so, and i was able to get it ferment down to about 1.010 so i was pretty happy.

Still in the carboy....so we'll see how it turned out.

Quick Reply