Heater in fermentation chamber affecting beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach976

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but..... I have a chest freezer controlled by a stc-1000 with a paint can heater. The freezer is in my laundry room inside the house. Would the constant cooling then heating affect the wort? The more I've read, I don't think I even need a heater with the freezer being inside the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You'll only need a heater if it gets really cold where you keep your fermentation chamber.

I don't think you'll need it being inside your house.

Sent from my kegerator

You'll only need a heater if it gets really cold where you keep your fermentation chamber.

I don't think you'll need it being inside your house.

Sent from my kegerator

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Where you live, even if you had the chamber in the garage, you'd only need the heater a few months out of the year.

Do you have your sensor taped to the side of the fermenter and insulated with something like bubble wrap? If so, even with the heater inside there, it ought not to be coming on at all.

Also, I've found that a 40W bulb is best for inside the paint can. 75-90W bulbs kick out too much heat unless you're somewhere really cold.

I recommend the heater. Finishing off fermentations at warmer than ambient, d-rests in cold periods, and fermenting belgians or funky strains: all would benefit from being able to heat your beer. It isn't a huge cost, and can improve fermentations.

Back