dammit, help stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skacorica

Reaction score
So, I posted a while back, I had my first stuck fermentation ever. It was a tripel that I pitched a large starter of trappist yeast in to start. When it stuck at 1.060 from 1.092, I stirred, moved ot warm env, and it got down a bit more, stuck again, finally racked onto a S-05 yeast cake from my pliny, got down to 1.030, stuck again at 1.030. Now, I tried racking onto my cider (champagne yeast cake) and not a damn thing happened.

What now? :( if it was a stout or something I would say hurray dessert stout, whatever....but a lightly hopped tripel? Damnit

btw before anyone posts: yes I am sure of what temp I mashed at (154), and no I havent tried beano, Ive yet to hear someone say they got a good beer out of it. Guess I may have no choice...

Yeah... that's a little bizarre, eh? Starting with such a high gravity, ending at around 30 probably isn't the devil, but I understand if you want to get that down a little bit. What you have to be concerned about is the high alcohol content at this point in the fermentation. I would suggest using a hardy yeast strain like a fresh wine yeast. The problem with brewer's yeasts are that they tend to like being between 5%-8% alcohol by volume so if you have a big beer like this the yeast might be getting drunk in your fermenter. Wine yeast is typically resistant to alcohol up to 15%-20% so you'll probably have a better finishing gravity, but just be careful it doesn't go too far. If you get it too low it'll end up dry and mouth-puckering.

Instead of Beano (which would convert its own mother to sugar if it could) take a look at Amylase Enzyme powder. You can get it at most LHBSs for a few dollars. A teaspoon sprinkled over the top of the beer and swirled in gently will help break down a few more of the long chains into fermentable chains. There's a branching limit to what it can do, so it won't just turn your entire carboy into sugar. It might bump you a few points into the high 1.02X range. I had a RIS stuck at 1.04X and got it down into 1.026-ish territory using AE.

Instead of Beano (which would convert its own mother to sugar if it could) take a look at Amylase Enzyme powder. You can get it at most LHBSs for a few dollars. A teaspoon sprinkled over the top of the beer and swirled in gently will help break down a few more of the long chains into fermentable chains. There's a branching limit to what it can do, so it won't just turn your entire carboy into sugar. It might bump you a few points into the high 1.02X range. I had a RIS stuck at 1.04X and got it down into 1.026-ish territory using AE.

1000+

Don't use Beano! AE is what you want. I won't elaborate because Beano has been extensively discussed in the past. Just do a forum search if you're not convinced.

Just an update, added AE and champagne yeast and still nothing. Starting to think the beer is possessed :(

Back