Brewing 2 different at the same time....but only one stir plate. Thoughts on process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So I am brewing 2 totally different beers this weekend and I plan to do them both at the same time.

I only have one flask and stir bar and plate...(but I have a growler I can use for the other). So my question is can I fab up some type of stir bar(starsan it of course) and how can I get away with only having one stir plate?

**I may actually be able to get a stir bar when I go to the local hbs for the supplies.**

I am making the Zombie Dust clone and this Pineapple Smash that I found here on the site. Zombie uses Wyeast 1968 and the Pineapple uses WLP060.

I am using my 2 burner camp chef and I have 2 mash tuns and 2 pots so I should be able to let this roll. I will put the Zombie in the Conical Fermentor and the Pineapple in the fermenting bucket.

Both yeast should be fine in my 65 degree basement but I will most likely take my Allagash Curieux clone out of the fermenting chamber since its been there for a few weeks is definitely done fermenting.

What do you all think about my plan.

1. Start yeast starter = not sure how to do 2 at once with one starter.
2. Heat both pots of water up to mashing temps and mash in coolers for time
3. Fly Sparge both at the same time into boiling pots
4. Start boil on both at same time and let them roll for 60 min each
5. Cool both using wort chillers
6. Run wort aerator on both for 30 min a piece to get super layer of foam
7. Pitch yeast in minibrew conical fermentor(Zombie Dust) and pitch yeast in bucket(Pineapple Smash)

Thoughts???

You could use the stir plate for one and the intermitent shaking approach for the other starter.

I agree with Pie Man. Or you could just do one today/tonight. Then put it in the fridge tomorrow night or friday night in the growler. Then start the second one in the flask you used for the first. Then the second one can be ready when you need to pitch it. This way the stir plate is used for both. This is usually how I do it because my partner and I do double brew days a lot of the same equipment.

I think homebrewer57 has it. I just did my first stir plate starter. It was completely fermented in about 30 hours.

My solution, though, is to plan two two beers with the same yeast. Pitch half for one and half for the other.

Well I would of loved to plan 2 of the same but SWMBO was not hearing it. I have brewed like 4 this year with none being for her so she politely *wink* requested I make something for her.

So I will put one on starter tonight...run it until Thursday night. Start the other one Thursday night and run until Friday night. With intermediate shaking of the first one in between.

Friday night, pitch both?? Sound good...basically both should get roughly 24hrs this way.

Back