What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passed a garage sale on the way home earlier and thought I saw some kegs. Went back and checked them out. Of 4, only one had a lid, one was dented beyond disbelief, and another was a racetrack style without a lid. I grabbed the 2 good ones for $16. I had a few extra lids floating around too. Score!

View attachment 1436822896444.jpg

Brewed an American wheat. Everything went well until flameout. Let's see how resilient this batch is...

A friend is letting me borrow his jockey box for a HB fest. Thank god I have a few weeks. This thing is disgusting! First step is disassembly and an oxyclean bath.

Over the last few days I have purchased 3 kegs (pin locks... paid $110 for the three), 1 gas in fitting, 1 beer out fitting, a picnic tap and line and ingredients for a dark beer.
Tonight I'm kegging one or two brews.

Bought some stuff.
8 5/8" wide SS hop spider
2 screw cap stainless dry hop tubes
Williams o2 kit for big oxygen tanks.
Stepping up my game a lil bit

I oxycleaned 2 kegs the other night and swapped out an empty co2 tank yesterday. Today I plan on getting a beer kegged and cleaning a few more new to me kegs. We'll see how motivated I am at the end of the day.

bought the ingredients I didn't already have for tomorrow's brew and kegged my last brewday creation.

Tonight I Oxy cleaned one of the pin lock kegs I bought last SUnday... gassed it up ro push Oxy and then sanitizer through the tube. So far I think I like the thing more than ball locks...why aren't these more popular?

I bottled my IIPA. I somehow managed to get it right. Floaty protein break, but Whirlfloc does that. Smelled trubby, looked clear, and tasted like flat beer with bits of protein and yeast in it. I used palm sugar to condition. Having been out of the game for eighteen months, I had forgotten about the cleanup.

Very busy day doing almost anything non brewing related. Cleaning (bottles and fermenters/buckets), bottling my dempfbier and planning tomorrow's brew day. Going to do a second saison. And going to do this while watching the UFC on TV!

What?? I'll take breaks...

Just my luck to have a muggy day for our 40th high school reunion. But I've got at least one taker to share a 12'r of my home brews with later. Buckeye red & the Kottbusser. Whiskely isn't ready yet.

Pulled a sample from my wheat-stout-thing. It fermented completely in less than a week.

It ended up browner and less malty because of the extra volume from a grain absorption / BIAB / brew calculator default problem. But I still ended up with a 5.4% beer because of some awesome efficiency from the new grain mill.

shared my Saison with HBT!!! A recipe that turned out well for me. One of those, "I wish someone would invent taste-o-vision for the internet" moments. Doing an Irish Red with cherries tomorrow, i'll keep you all posted.

got ready to bottle, then got severely pissed when i found my batch was infected! second in a row with an infection. damn. going on a cleaning tear now, F**K those little microscopic bastards. i will defeat them.

Drank a glass of the Snowy Mountain APA that I kegged last week. Dissappointed to find hop pieces in suspension...drank it anyway.

got ready to bottle, then got severely pissed when i found my batch was infected! second in a row with an infection. damn. going on a cleaning tear now, F**K those little microscopic bastards. i will defeat them.

133235985845.jpg

Bleach Bomb time, eh?

I brewed a Fuggles IPA extract kit yesterday and came to the realization that, when using steeping grains for extract, those kits take me almost as long as my AG recipes. Since I heat my strike water while I crush my grain, heat the first running a while sparging the grain, and clean my AG equipment while the wort is cooling, my brew day for AG is literally only about 30 minutes longer (I steeped the specialty grains for 30 minutes). I bought the kits because Midwest was running a deal--3 kits for $17 each--and I thought it would help me get my pipeline going quickly since I'm about to take my annual four month brewing hiatus.

Lautered Thursday's sour mash, split the runnings evenly, one half also got the sparge runnings and some coriander and salt (Gose) in the boil, the other got no sparge runnings of the sour mash, but instead got a separate BIAB mash of 100% rauchmalz that was blended back in with its half of the sour mash (Lichtenhainer). Both hopped with Tettenanger to about 7 IBUs.

Dry hopped zombie dust, cleaned a keg, and filled another with a mixed fruit blonde. Need to do plenty of other stuff but ran out of time and energy. At least the back lawn is mowed so I can take care of other suff tomorrow.

I bought the makings for a new beer. The best way to describe it is this: The Brewer's Best Red Ale kit, with different (read: not expired) extracts - the stock kit comes with 2x 3.3lb. cans of Briess CBW Golden Light Malt Extract, and I'm using one can of Briess CBW Munich, and one of CBW Rye - and new (read: not expired) hops - same varietals (Fuggle, EKG), but I'm going with leaf, rather than pellet.

It'll probably be awful, but experimentation is part of the fun of homebrewing, so...

Got ingredients for the Columbus IPA I'll do next weekend, and then started a starter of Bell's yeast. I poured the dregs from one Oberon into 150 ml of wort on the stir plate, so hopefully it'll take off and I can step it up.

Other than that, I dug into some fun stuff in the fridge. I tried Anderson Valley's "The Kimmie, the Yink, and the Holy Gose," Ethos IPA, and that Oberon for the starter.

Got some grain & hop bags soaking some stains out & bottles to clean today. Drank some of my PM Irish red & kottbusser over the weekend. The Irish red turned out pretty close to descriptions I've read, so that's good.

Went to get my carboy to transfer a blonde onto strawberries and realized that it was nasty, so doing an oxyclean soak to hopefully clean it up. If it's not completely clean I'll use a washcloth to take care of the krausen layer crud tomorrow.

Transferred a Maris Otter/ Mosaic SMaSH to secondary to dryhop. Yesterday I sampled the first pint of a Dry Irish Stout I kegged on Saturday and it's freaking amazing.

Gave a fellow home brewer some advice on a stalled fermentation problem...then checked my own gravity on American Wheat reached my FG of 1.009-1.010. Cold crashing and getting ready to keg on Wednesday!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ordered 6x3 gallon pinlock loose handle kegs from AIH (loose handle/bottoms are solved with JB Weld, incase anyone didn't know that) 3x corny fermenter lids, caps, and grains for a few more brews.

Latest posts

Back