The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What has two thumbs and is going pro?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #141
bk0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm interested in hearing the legal runaround you probably had to go through. How does the licensing work? How do you account for taxes, etc? Are you limited to <10% ABV brews or doesn't it matter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #142
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, licensing is a big issue so I might need you to be a little more specific, but here's the basic rundown of when stuff happens.

- Rent/lease building (yep, you have to be spending money for the entire 1-2 years of licensing)
- THEN: Apply for federal license (all owners have to list everywhere they lived/worked in the past decade, etc)
- (Wait)
- THEN: Apply for state license (ditto the live/work part, and you also need to be fingerprinted)
- If you're doing any construction on the building, it has to be done now.
- Get Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance from the city
- Receive state license
- THEN: Apply for retail license to sell growlers

So, we're open and selling but can't fill growlers yet.

We have to designate a step after which the kegs are taxed. So we could theoretically have a keg in our fridge for drinking at the brewery that's not taxed (* I think: I'm the web dude, not the accountant, but I'm pretty sure this is the case) but once we move them to our main cooler they're considered taxed. Obviously anything we sell we have to tax.

Thankfully there are no limits on the abv of what we can make.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #143
bk0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome, thank you.

For some reason I thought anything >10% abv wasn't considered a 'beer' anymore and was regulated differently. But it must vary by state I guess.

Good luck, and keep us updated!!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #144
ralex999
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make those dreams come true. You stuck it through and made it happen. My hat is off to you. Congradulations!!!

Brewers log: This years Barley Wine Fermented violently. At one point, we had to lash down the Fermenter and flood the containment area around its base to prevent melt down or damage to the superstructure. My wife says the "Papers are in the mail". Thinking about brewing some Pepsi Cola or root beer this year.

alaskana Likes This 

Quick Reply