Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Water from a garden hose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Regular hoses state on the package not to drink from them. They can give you cancer. You can get real rubber hoses from an agriculteral supply that would be safe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use an RV filter attached to my regular garden hose for all of my brews. I do use a potable rated short hose from the filter to the HLT but that's only because the filter came with it. The H2O is only in the hose for a short period of time so you don't have to worry about bad tastes after a quick flush. Also, the inside of your pipes are probably dirtier than a hose since they aren't replaced very few years.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I had no idea about the warnings and safety issues. I never looked at the packaging on hoses. Everything gives you cancer these days, eh?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
I use an RV filter attached to my regular garden hose for all of my brews. I do use a potable rated short hose from the filter to the HLT but that's only because the filter came with it. The H2O is only in the hose for a short period of time so you don't have to worry about bad tastes after a quick flush. Also, the inside of your pipes are probably dirtier than a hose since they aren't replaced very few years.
You have lead in your pipes?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #15
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wasn't really thinking about lead when I posted. I thinking more about bacteria, scale and other deposits.

But now that you bring it up:

• Depending on when your house was made, there very well may be lead in the solder joints of your pipes.
  • The amount of lead that could be present in a hose would have to be pretty small since it's not actually made out of lead.
  • The amount of that lead that could leach into the water in the hose is orders of magnitude smaller.
  • The amount of lead in the water flowing through said hose after the initial flush is even more orders of magnitude smaller.
Given that, you would have to consume enough home brew to make you liver jump out of your throat long before plumbism could set in.

So no, I don't worry about lead in my garden hose.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my mind it's worth the extra few bucks for a hose that's labelled as safe for drinking from rather than using some nasty old garden hose. It's not like you have to buy a new hose each brew day. My fancy $30 white RV hose costs me approx. $0.50 per batch so far and shows now sign of wearing out.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #17
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I have made the huge mistake of using hose water while doing a big brew with our club. It was absolutely awful after primary fermentation, and I ended up dumping 45 gallons of blonde ale and brewing it all again myself, I was so ashamed of how it tasted.

Quick Reply