Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #151
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I thoroughly inspected my 15.9 gal fermentors the other day. They are well built. The lid is awesome and easy to remove plus if I did a fruit beer I could drop a whole watermelon through the top! Everything has rubber orings for seals and the air lock is huge and impressive. The little racking spout is pretty nice and I think it it might be perfectly positioned for pulling above the yeast cake. The handles are substantial but I don't think substantial enough to move a 15.9Gal fermentor when its full, no that I'd want to move it anyhow. I will probably need to get a hand truck to utilize these fermentors. I sort of intended these for large batches of saison or other low gravity brews. I might just primary in two 10 gal cornys that I have and then transfer into the 15.9 gal for the brett to finish up in secondary. I may need to get a larger brew kettle......

The questions I have is about the oxygen permeability. I couldn't find any answers but I am thinking that speidel is similar to flex tank. I am sort of leaning towards these being a similar construction to a specified permeability to simulate wine barrel oxygen transfer. I can't find any numbers or claims other than "resists oxygen transfer". I'll brew up a big batch of Flanders red soon and get it in one of these and see how it goes.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #152
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole
I thoroughly inspected my 15.9 gal fermentors the other day. They are well built. The lid is awesome and easy to remove plus if I did a fruit beer I could drop a whole watermelon through the top! Everything has rubber orings for seals and the air lock is huge and impressive. The little racking spout is pretty nice and I think it it might be perfectly positioned for pulling above the yeast cake. The handles are substantial but I don't think substantial enough to move a 15.9Gal fermentor when its full, no that I'd want to move it anyhow. I will probably need to get a hand truck to utilize these fermentors. I sort of intended these for large batches of saison or other low gravity brews. I might just primary in two 10 gal cornys that I have and then transfer into the 15.9 gal for the brett to finish up in secondary. I may need to get a larger brew kettle......

The questions I have is about the oxygen permeability. I couldn't find any answers but I am thinking that speidel is similar to flex tank. I am sort of leaning towards these being a similar construction to a specified permeability to simulate wine barrel oxygen transfer. I can't find any numbers or claims other than "resists oxygen transfer". I'll brew up a big batch of Flanders red soon and get it in one of these and see how it goes.
I would think for most beers, with a month or less in primary, that oxygen would be a non-issue. A Flanders or Old Ale that will be substantially longer in aging might see some affect - but that's why I'll keep a carboy or two around for those "specialty" beers.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld
ronzorelli Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #153
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
I would think for most beers, with a month or less in primary, that oxygen would be a non-issue. A Flanders or Old Ale that will be substantially longer in aging might see some affect - but that's why I'll keep a carboy or two around for those "specialty" beers.
I agree.
I dont want to tie up one of my Speidels for long term aging.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer
ronzorelli Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #154
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have quite a few carboys between better bottles, some 5 gal glass I found in a dumpster at work, and a 3gal for side experimentation. I wanted to get these for brewing sour batch blending/secondary for beers like flanders. I figure if I bottle 15 gal I won't need to brew a flanders red for at least a year or two. So my loose plan is to use one for sours on a rotational basis between lambic, and flanders ales, then the other will be use for much quicker non-bacteria laden beers.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #155
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole
I have quite a few carboys between better bottles, some 5 gal glass I found in a dumpster at work, and a 3gal for side experimentation. I wanted to get these for brewing sour batch blending/secondary for beers like flanders. I figure if I bottle 15 gal I won't need to brew a flanders red for at least a year or two. So my loose plan is to use one for sours on a rotational basis between lambic, and flanders ales, then the other will be use for much quicker non-bacteria laden beers.
Let us know how it works. Haven't dived into those styles yet - so many beers, so little time!
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #156
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my 60L tanks so I wanted to share them and give some of my impressions.

Here's the inside of the tank. It's very easy to clean and a nice bright white that makes it easy to see if it's clean.

Here is the heavy duty handle. I have a high degree of confidence in these handles.

It's features like these indentations on the bottom, which help when lifting or pouring, that have made me fall in love with these tanks.

Here's a close-up of the bottom bung hole. It can be fitted with the included spigot or cap.

I was initially concerned if this tank would fit in my 5cuft chest freezer. Well, it fits, but it's a tight fit.

This is what I use as a blow-off tube. I don't expect any actual blow-off to make it here and don't think it'd handle much before it clogged. Obviously the huge airlock that comes with the tank won't fit in the chest freezer.

I love these tanks. They are easy to use and have it in all the places where it counts. They are elegant and strong. It's too bad morebeer can't get more in stock. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #157
dreaded
Recipes 

where did you get the t-fitting for the blow off tube in the fermenter? wish they would get more of them in... they went fast when they got in, I've been waiting a year..

never mind, i see where they have it as an accessory..

Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #158
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaded View Post
where did you get the t-fitting for the blow off tube in the fermenter? wish they would get more of them in... they went fast when they got in, I've been waiting a year..

never mind, i see where they have it as an accessory..
i think it's the spigot mounted up there as a blowoff tube.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #159
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

So my I hear my phone indicate an email, check it and it is the notification from MB that they have these in stock. I checked the website within 15 seconds of receiving the notification and all sizes are already sold out. MoreBeer, just order a bunch of these you lunkheads; you have a monopoly.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #160
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
So my I hear my phone indicate an email, check it and it is the notification from MB that they have these in stock. I checked the website within 15 seconds of receiving the notification and all sizes are already sold out. MoreBeer, just order a bunch of these you lunkheads; you have a monopoly.
They are going to take pre-orders, though. Also, as I read the email it sounds like they are giving a heads-up that they will be releasing the tanks soon. You may not have missed your chance.

Quick Reply