Questions about Macro brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This will be my first post as I am a new member and would like to say that this is a really great forum that has been very informative.
First of all, my name is Michael and I come from Bangkok, Thailand. I have developed quite an interest to home brewing and I'm planning to brew for the first time soon once I have done enough research and have enough equipment :ban:.

Ok, so my questions about macro brewing are...
has anyone considered trying to go macro, to become a big brewery? What are the constraints restricting micro brewers from sizing up to commercializing their beer other than financial constraints? are there laws and regulations restricting this or is it extremely hard to maintain a consistently great tasting beer or is it simply that micro breweries just dont want to size up?
How did the big breweries manage it...?

I hope my questions are posted in the right section and are not stupid since I'm still really new to this.

Thanks,
Michael

Man most Macro's that stay small is out of choice. It is not that hard to get bigger especially right now in the United States. Most Craft brewery's cant help but grow. Ya there are laws and restrictions in some areas but you can get it done. Think of it like this you brew 10 gallons and want to make 20 so bigger kettle, mash tun and fermenters. It is the same with the bi guys but instead of just fermenters now the building is not big enough and to expand that much takes big risk, and lots of cash.
I can make 60gal in a day at my house but then I can't brew for two weeks until my fermenters are empty. But that is only until I get my 45 gal conical fermenters done then we will be able to do 130gal at a time. Once you start brewing you will see.

you're in the wrong forum if you are looking to get info about large scale brewing.. try http://www.probrewer.com .. money is by far the biggest concern, though all states/countries etc. have different regulations.. you'll want to get good at 5 gallon batches though before you try to scale up much more than that

Darkness said:
Man most Macro's that stay small is out of choice. It is not that hard to get bigger especially right now in the United States. Most Craft brewery's cant help but grow. Ya there are laws and restrictions in some areas but you can get it done. Think of it like this you brew 10 gallons and want to make 20 so bigger kettle, mash tun and fermenters. It is the same with the bi guys but instead of just fermenters now the building is not big enough and to expand that much takes big risk, and lots of cash.
I can make 60gal in a day at my house but then I can't brew for two weeks until my fermenters are empty. But that is only until I get my 45 gal conical fermenters done then we will be able to do 130gal at a time. Once you start brewing you will see.

He nailed it. Expanding is a lot of work and not very easy when it's all said and done. It's a big step for breweries who are already working endless hours trying to break even from the enormous overhead cost of starting up. I think most don't feel like being in the hole again once they put years in just to break the surface and start making a good turnover.

Back