Question on ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
Might be a noob question, but I had a belguim triple that got stuck fermenting (Bb kit extract) and i bottled iit 2 weeks ago (tast pretty good so far.) I took a hydro reading at around 63 to 64 dagrees and my gravidy reading is 1.030. My Fg when i bottled was 1.031.

So whats my ABV? Please and thank you. I know its got a bit more ABV but on its second week its tast is hiding the first weeks tast test of alcohol.

That kit *should* have an OG of around 1.083, but you really need to measure before pitching the yeast to be sure. If it was, and you finished at 1.030 (which is quite high), then the beer will be ~7%ABV.

I tried brewing some big beers when I first started, wasn't a good idea. I had the same problem as you, brewed a big RIS and finished at around 1.033. I tried to tell myself I liked it... but it was way too thick and sweet. I still finished the keg though!

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Might be a noob question, but I had a belguim triple that got stuck fermenting (Bb kit extract) and i bottled iit 2 weeks ago (tast pretty good so far.) I took a hydro reading at around 63 to 64 dagrees and my gravidy reading is 1.030. My Fg when i bottled was 1.031.

So whats my ABV? Please and thank you. I know its got a bit more ABV but on its second week its tast is hiding the first weeks tast test of alcohol.

I'm not sure that bottling this beer at 1.031 was a good idea. This seems too high for a beer with this starting gravity to be finished (that's only about 62% apparent attenuation, which is low, particularly if you used a Belgian yeast) and I would be worried about bottle bombs. Perhaps it really was done and everything is fine, but I would be careful when handling those bottles.

JLem said:
I'm not sure that bottling this beer at 1.031 was a good idea. This seems too high for a beer with this starting gravity to be finished (that's only about 62% apparent attenuation, which is low, particularly if you used a Belgian yeast) and I would be worried about bottle bombs. Perhaps it really was done and everything is fine, but I would be careful when handling those bottles.

Yup i was woeried about it too, but from reaserch it was stuck it was in primary fpr about 6 weeks, I also did not use all the suger the kit came with for botting. Im keeping them at 63 to 64 dagrees in my basement. The beer tast pretty good at 2 weeks. I will be carefull handleing the bottles to be safe, needless to say Im going to maje sure I usr vetter yeast for a big beer. The yeast the Bb kit gave me was not even a belgian strain.

On a side note, We did an imperial blond ale that finished fg right on spot, with dry yeast and no starter.

Back