Oxygen tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westel

Reaction score
So I bought a medical oxygen tank off amazon to use on my brew, but I can't find anyone who will fill it. I know I've seen videos of people using these to brew so can anyone point me in the right direction? The medical supply place told me they couldn't touch it without a perscription and the welding supply place said they couldn't deal with it since it was a medical tank.

man sell it and go to the welding shop and pick up a small bottle for oxygen from them. The oxygen in the thanks for a torch is the same purity as Medical oxygen. No one can fill a med gas tank with out a prescription. the only diff in the tanks is the gov. regulates med tanks more than the others. I have a 20# cylinder it works great. the other thing is you have to be careful not to over oxygenate the purity for med or torch gas is like 94.786 that is as pure as a human can breath. they do have ultra pure but you need a license for it. I hit my brews with 20sec of good oxygen and it takes off.
good luck and maybe you can get it filled some where but if not there is a diff rout

I would also try local ambulance services. A lot of them will fill them and are probably not too sticky on the prescription.

I would also keep checking around. I was told on the phone by one supplier that they aren't too particular about the prescriptions.

Another possibility is to just get a script. Ask your PCP or anyone you know who is a doctor, PA or nurse practitioner. Be honest and they will probably write you a prescription with refills.

Adam

Or buy the Worthington Oxygen disposable cylinders at Lowe's or HD. This is what I do, they go for numerous batches with no problem, then you toss it. Just be sure to buy a back up.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91314-13877-307343_0__?productId=3087507&Ntt=oxygen&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Doxygen&facetInfo=

I know this is not a helpful answer to your original question, just a thought.

This is what I have been doing just figured the bigger oxygen tank would save me some time and money.... I think I was wrong! I'm going to try to rig up a way to fill it off a regular oxygen tank... probably won't be a full fill but better than nothing. Just can't believe there is this much red tape associated with oxygen lol.

This is what I have been doing just figured the bigger oxygen tank would save me some time and money.... I think I was wrong! I'm going to try to rig up a way to fill it off a regular oxygen tank... probably won't be a full fill but better than nothing. Just can't believe there is this much red tape associated with oxygen lol.

The pressure will equalize between the two cylinders. It is know in the industry as "cascade filling" or "trans-filling". You will need a a high pressure hose to connect the two cylinders. It would be my suggestion that the cost of the apparatus and more importantly danger of performing this operation would far exceed the cost of a 20 lb O2 tank and a regulator. Just my $ .02

Here's a video of how immolateus does it with a Burnsomatic o2 cylinder like you get at home cheapo;

Last edited by a moderator:
Back