MIXING beer & homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuichituba

Reaction score
I am bottling my Milk Stout tomorrow and I had this crazy idea. I was going to drink a porter while bottling, and was thinking:

".......what if I pour some of my homebrew in a half-drunk bottle of Speakeasy Porter?"

I know it sounds like a bad idea, but I'd like to try it just because I can.
The question for y'all is........will it be ok? I'm wondering if it will explode because of the abundance of sugar. Should I pour it in that first before putting in the final priming sugar?

This is IF I were to do this craziness.

what if I pour some of my homebrew in a half-drunk bottle of Speakeasy Porter?

You mean - what if you drink half of it and then pour primed beer into the bottle? You'll probably get a half-carbed mix of the two beers (due to lack of sugar remaining in the Porter.) One caution - Do NOT drink out of the bottle and do this! In fact I'd open the bottle, pour half the the beer into a glass, wipe the top off with something clean (I use Everclear as a fast sanitizer) fill and recap as quickly as possible.

Not sure why you'd do this tho. If you want to try mixing them, then bottle your beer, let it carb, then open two bottles and mix them at that point. More repeatable and less fuss.

Blending beer is an age old technique. I don't think blending with commercial beer should be allowed in competitions. I think it is best used to help get rid of your mistakes, or black and tans.

if i was going to do this, i'd do what billvon says. do the homebrew normally, then mix them in the glass at drinking time.

Thanks for the reply guys. I know it was a random question, but I was running out of bottles and thought of doing that, and I needed wisdom from more experienced folks. I ended up finishing a bottle of Baltika Porter 6, sanitized the tip, and filled the rest of my Milk Stout. We'll see how it turns out.

if i was going to do this, i'd do what billvon says. do the homebrew normally, then mix them in the glass at drinking time.

i've done this a couple of times. usually to balance out a flavor in a comercial beer i didn't like or just to try something different and had very mixed results. some turned out great, others-:eek: try it out.

Back