maple flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamj

Reaction score
Is there a way to achieve maple flavor without adding maple syrup? Concerned about adding to much sugar to the beer.

Thank you.
Adam

A well stocked spice store should have maple extract, or just plan your grain bill around having syrup in it. The yeast won't care and will gobble it right up.

I made a brew this year with fenugreek. Definate maple flavor. It is a potent spice so use it very sparingly.

heathcom said:
I made a brew this year with fenugreek. Definate maple flavor. It is a potent spice so use it very sparingly.

How much did you use? When/how did you use it? What style of beer? I've really wanted to try using it in a coffee stout.

This is a good guess. since the spice/seeds were so potent, I didnt crush them. Tossed about half a teaspoon for a gallon in a brown ale at 15 mins left in the boil. Came out good and really pronounced maple flavor. I suppose it really depends on how much flavor you want. When you smell it, youll know.

heathcom said:
This is a good guess. since the spice/seeds were so potent, I didnt crush them. Tossed about half a teaspoon for a gallon in a brown ale at 15 mins left in the boil. Came out good and really pronounced maple flavor. I suppose it really depends on how much flavor you want. When you smell it, youll know.

So just to be clear.... About 1/2 tsp per gallon? This will definitely be happening in my next couple beers.

Right, but again, depends on how strong you want the maple flavor. I thought half teaspoon per gallon would give a hint of maple but was more like drinking carbonated maple syrup without the sweetness o.0

heathcom said:
Right, but again, depends on how strong you want the maple flavor. I thought half teaspoon per gallon would give a hint of maple but was more like drinking carbonated maple syrup without the sweetness o.0

Looks like I'll be going for 1/8-1/4 tsp then. Does it fade at all over time? Thanks for all the info.

Its such a strong spice, I dont suspect it would fade much. Mine was gone in two weeks ;)

I got it in seed form from my local health food store, natural living center. Was a few bucks an ounce

two years ago my paw-in-law added maple syrup (don't know how much) to an "Octoberfest" ale. There was just a hint of maple when we drank it two years ago. But last weekend we found a couple and the maple was on the forefront. Maybe that is a flavor that intensifies with age. It went really well with the Munich malt/noble hop combination.

You can find fenugreek in most Indian or Asian spice stores. The prices for spices in the ethnic markets are stupid cheap compared to grocery stores. You'll have more fenugreek than you know what to do with. Unless you eat a TON of curries.

Just tried using fenugreek in a 5 gal batch of Oatmeal Stout and wanted to post up some observations. I used 1tsp added to the boil @ 15 min and while it was boiling it had a nice maple aroma. Yesterday I took a gravity sample and taste test. The maple isn't quite cutting through the dark malts though the sample itself tasted very good. There's maybe a hint of maple in the aroma but its hard to say my brain isn't trying to pick it up. I'm debating boiling up a little more fenugreek and adding it to taste at bottling for the last gallon or two to see if that gets things where I'd like. This way I can see if the maple comes out more once its carbed up or if I just didnt add enough fenugreek on brew day. Will play around with this stuff some more as I think it has great potential and post some results.

I used 10ml of maple extract in a 5gal imperial stout about 8 weeks ago. It has been interesting to taste the changes over time. Fenugreek didn't provide the "right" maple flavor I was looking for, so I ordered extract over Amazon.

ColoHox said:
I used 10ml of maple extract in a 5gal imperial stout about 8 weeks ago. It has been interesting to taste the changes over time. Fenugreek didn't provide the "right" maple flavor I was looking for, so I ordered extract over Amazon.

Care to share your thoughts on the extract? Brand, when you added, what kind of maple flavor, how strong.... That sort of stuff.

Care to share your thoughts on the extract? Brand, when you added, what kind of maple flavor, how strong.... That sort of stuff.

It's Olive Nation brand, bought through amazon. When it arrived, I mixed a small amout with some french toast to test out the flavor, it was delicious.

I added after 4 weeks in primary and before kegging (Yeti Imp. stout clone). I poured a 12oz sample of beer and added extract until I thought the flavor was good. I then scaled up the amout for 5 gallons and added HALF that amount. I could always add more, and did not want it to be overwhelming.

After two weeks carbing in the keg, the maple flavor was right up front and pretty strong. After 4 weeks, the roasted grains came through and maple was at the end, still not sweet. After 8 weeks, there is a balance between slight maple sweetness and roasted grain.

Next time I will probably add even less maple extract, but overall I thought it outperformed fenugreek in "real" maple flavor and stability during aging.

ColoHox said:
It's Olive Nation brand, bought through amazon. When it arrived, I mixed a small amout with some french toast to test out the flavor, it was delicious.

I added after 4 weeks in primary and before kegging (Yeti Imp. stout clone). I poured a 12oz sample of beer and added extract until I thought the flavor was good. I then scaled up the amout for 5 gallons and added HALF the amount I used in the 12oz pour. I could always add more, and did not want it to be overwhelming.

After two weeks carbing in the keg, the maple flavor was right up front and pretty strong. After 4 weeks, the roasted grains came through and maple was at the end, still not sweet. After 8 weeks, there is a balance between slight maple sweetness and roasted grain.

Next time I will probably add even less maple extract, but overall I thought it outperformed fenugreek in "real" maple flavor and stability during aging.

Awesome feedback thanks. I just might give that a go when I bottle this stout.

Quick question... I see it has sugar in it. Did the amount you used mess with the carb level or would you just prime as normal?

Awesome feedback thanks. I just might give that a go when I bottle this stout.

Quick question... I see it has sugar in it. Did the amount you used mess with the carb level or would you just prime as normal?

The amount I used would only contribute a tiny amount of sugar. I kegged though, so that didn't affect me.

Back