Low SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teckmaster0179

Reaction score
I have two competitions coming up in May and needed to get things rolling. I am using the same base beer for both and then I will flavor and modify later. I took two 5 gallon kits and just doubled up production and did them together. I brewed an IPA that was supposed to start around 1.050. After i separated into two fermenters, I took a reading and was only at 1.040. Not really concerned that the beer wont come out ok, but not really sure why it was so low. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kit beers meaning extract? It would be nice to tell us your process and some more info.
Did you read from both fermenters?
What often happens is that the extract wasn't completed mixed with the water addition. You will get sweeter spots and less sweet spots in the wort, believe it or not, and that will change your reading.
But unless we have a little more info, it's just a WAG.

Yeah, I used two true brew IPA kits and I did take a reading from both fermenting buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back