Just moved to Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all?
It has been far too long since I've been here, but I just finished moving to Hawaii and I am ready to start brewing again. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for brewshops anywhere on Oahu. I also want to start kegging so a place that has that equipment would be really nice. Thanks.

_AJ

Um, I've only dreamed of having a house paid for by my Lotto winnings in Hawaii, so I can't be much help on local brewshops. However, I would like to request a picture or two of the scenery to keep my dream alive, hehe.

I'd really recommend rocket rods on the big island. Never went with the Oahu guy but he's expensive and rude on the phone. Pm me for some other advice. FYI I live on Kauai.

I ended up going to homebrew in paradise and the guy was very nice and helpful. I don't know if he was the same guy you talked to thrsty, but he gave me no problems. The grain prices weren't too bad either at $2 a pound which isn't much more than I was paying on the mainland. Hops were a little pricy though, but he had a good selection. It also helps that the shop is only about 5 minutes from my house. Chudz, I'll send you some pics when I get home to my computer. Thanks for the replies, y'all. I am very excited to brew my first beer in almost a year.

I'll be on Oahu in Jan. It's nice to know there's a good HBS close. We'll have to get together a brew sometime once I get settled in.

How do you say cheers in Hawaiian? :mug:

A group brew sounds good to me, just let me know when y'all get here.

Chudz,
I am having trouble uploading the pics to photobucket, so if you just want to give me your e-mail address I will send them to you.

-AJ

Me and two other guys brew beer in Mililani (on Oahu). The LHBS is ok in general but the crush is poor. A grain mill is an important thing to have here.
Also, you'll want to have a way to keep fermentation temps in acceptable ranges - it can get hot.

Cool. Sounds like there's quite a few island brewers then. No active brew club?

I'll be "downgrading" the brewery while I'm there. I decided to leave my single-tier stand (along with my grain mill and all fancy equiptment) here w/ a brew buddy while we're in HI. I figured I'd just brew w/ some simple equipment (cooler, buckets, turkey fryer) and pre-crushed grain for a while instead of hauling all of that stuff over there. It's disappointing to hear that the LHBS has a poor crush, but I'll make-do. As a matter of fact, I doubt I'll be bitching about much at all while we're there. :D

Looks like the LHBS in Honolulu is the same one I used to frequent, only renamed. Kind of a run down area, but the selection was decent when I was there.

You would think that with a population base that big, that they would be able to support more homebrewing resources.

Good luck, the biggest advice I can give for brewing in Hawaii is "Fermentation Temperature Control"

Back