Honey Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummelj

Reaction score
Still new to brewing here and planning on doing a honey brown ale this weekend (extract kit) and was wondering if doing cascade hops in the secondary would be a good idea or not? Or if there are any other additional flavors anyone could recommend that would be great. Thanks! Happy brewing!

If you are trying to make a Brown Ale, then by style it should not be dry hopped. In a true Brown, the malt should be the star of the beer, not the hops.

Now, if you are more interested in it having the bitterness and aroma of an APA/IPA, go for it, but you are going to overshadow the maltiness of the good Brown with the aroma hops. It will really no longer be a brown ale, it will be more of a Brown APA/IPA.

Just my opinion....I wouldn't do the dry hop in the secondary.

Recently did a Honey Brown with Cascade that included a fair amount of late hop additions. Didn't dry hop, but there was still a decent amount of hop aroma. Very nice beer!

From BJCP Guidlines
10C. American Brown Ale
Overall Impression: Can be considered a bigger, maltier, hoppier interpretation of Northern English brown ale or a hoppier, less malty Brown Porter, often including the citrus-accented hop presence that is characteristic of American hop varieties.

Okay great, thanks for the advice! I think ill try it with no dry hopping. What's the best way to store hops, freezer?

Put hops in a ziplock bag with minimum oxygen and put them in the fridge....they'll stay good for 4-5 months.

Latest posts

Back