High Gravity Hangover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed a tasty Barley Wine when trying to brew an Imperial IPA. OG of 1.100, FG of 1.026, IBU's of 122. Used America Ale Yeast. Rest of recipe is located at http://tapmeister.com/display_recipe.php?id=15.

My problem is that the resultant hangover and head ache exceeds that of the associated alcohol. I had the same problem several years back when I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout as well.

Does anyone know what might cause this? My ingredients are listed on the recipe. My process is pretty traditional except that I use a RIMS setup for my mash. I also had a thicker mash than normal since I had to push my mash tun size limitations for the high amount of grain. Could it be left over unfermented sugar? Tannins? Wrong yeast for high gravity? Excessive hops?

Thanks

Two 24 ounce bottles of the Barley Wine. I recall with the Imperial Stout even getting a head ache before getting a buzz. Problem was both tasted great.

I am having a potentially similar problem. My 12.7% abv imperial stout was bottled in the same bottles that I have always put my normal beer in. Now after 3 beers(the new ones) I am at about the point that I would be with 7 or so regular beers.
The problem is not that I am stupid(I like to think) but rather that the habit of having 3 beers or so is so ingrained and habitual, that unless I sit and say.."now how many have I already had?" I have probalby had more alcohol than I meant to.

This may not help since you are probably wondering what chemical may be present that results in a headache, that I don't know. Drink a glass of water in between beers and that will help. Good luck.

I had a similar issue with my first PM batch. I would get headaches after just one 16 oz beer. I remember some of the grain husks being left in the boil but I have no idea if this had anything to do with it.

Also, this happened just about every time I drank one of these so I know it wasn't coincidence. The headaches weren't real severe but definitely noticeable.

Aside from the obvious issue of having the same volume of beer with 2-3x the alcohol content, my guess would be:

Fusel alcohols. Fermentation temp too high. The big gravity might mask some of the harsh flavors, but the fusels are still there, doing their hangover-inducing thing.

I live in Seattle, and ferment without mechanical cooling in my garage. I would expect my fermentation was never over 70 degrees, but am not positive. Does this seem too warm?

Is there any heath effects of Fusel alcohols other than the head ache (obviously at moderate levels and not drinking gallons of Barley Wine)?

Also, I read that hangovers are caused by acetaldehyde. Is it possible to inadvertantly create more of this?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_oil

Excessive concentrations of these fractions may cause off flavours, sometimes described as "spicy," "hot," or "solvent-like." Some beverages, such as whiskey, Siwucha and traditional ales and ciders, are expected to have relatively high concentrations of fusel alcohols as part of the flavour profile. In other beverages, such as vodka and lagers, the presence of fusel alcohols is considered a fault. Very high concentrations — usually caused by incompetent distillation — can cause acute illness, including headaches, nausea, vomiting, clinical depression, or coma. Such a liquor may be referred to as rotgut.

Bike N Brew, I hope I didn't make "rotgut"!. wikipedia goes on to say that Fusel oil is caused by fermentation at higher temperatures, lower pH, or when yeast activity is limited by low nitrogen content. I will keep better track of fermentation temperature. I try not to overspage, but I also don't bother testing pH of my runoff. Could this cause low pH? Also, I didn't use any yeast nutrients. Can yeast nutrients help with nitrogen content?

Orfy, I recognize the quantity, but the head ache is worse than equivalent amount of alcohol should produce.

Thanks

Also, did you make a yeast starter or pitch on the yeast from a previous batch? If you didn't, pitching just one vial or packet isn't enough. I bet the yeast were strained a little and produced some higher alcohols.

That and the quantity...

I didn't make a yeast started, but I did pitch one Wyeast Activator 1056 #179 American yeast, one package of dry American Yeast (56 in red envelope), plus extra yeast off my last batch, however, it had been in the secondary quite a while.

I will have to make sure my wife doesn't see this thread. She will certainly say "see, I told you that you drink too much beer!"

NotionCommotion said:
I live in Seattle, and ferment without mechanical cooling in my garage. I would expect my fermentation was never over 70 degrees, but am not positive. Does this seem too warm?

I'd say the ambient air temperature of 70 degrees isn't too bad, but you do have to consider that fermentation will generate its own heat, and with a big beer like that, perhaps the heat being generated was enough to push it higher...

Wheat beers almost always give me a headache in the morning only after a couple, if I drink alot of them then I am screwed the next day. I dont know what it is but they give me huge headaches and hangovers.....why do they have to be so damn good

I have always read and believed that the fluctuation of temps in a garage can result in similar, if not the same compounds and off effects that high temps cause.
Just from day to night the temp probably changes 10 degrees. If you can't help it, no sweat, at least you are making beer, but a basement or closet would be much better if it is an option.

Back