Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #731
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPete View Post
Interesting. I had the opposite experience. My last attempt, I ended up with 6.5gal of wort so I threw 1 gallon in a jug and fermented warm (71) to see the difference. I felt the cooler temp (64-ish) was much peachier than the 71. They both finished at 1.012 from a starting of 1.072 (little high), but the 71 had less fruity flavor and a much harsher alcohol bite. The 71 was also much clearer. Who knows if there was some other unknown factor here, but that's what I experienced.

Vegan, how long did you let yours cold condition before the flavor actually stayed consistent. Mine is all over the place. Seems like every other day, when I taste it - it's a different beer. As I said, first taste after 10 days was amazingly close...since then, every day gets further away. It's been cold conditioning in a keg for only 2 days but it's gone from "not bitter enough" going into the keg to a very harsh piney bitterness. I've seen hoppy beers change from day to day, but this one is all over the board. I'm not going to touch it for a week and let things mellow out.
I have experience quite a bit of the inconsistency you talked about. I think I've had mine on tap for about 2 weeks. I can't remember but I think I tapped it short of day 28 of the process. For the first week or so I was surprised at how often the tastes changed. I remember the first set of pours was good, then decent, then great, but each pour was different. Every few pours I'd be like, did I even dry hop this? Then randomly one day last week I took a pour and it was perfect. Everything lined up and I was like wow, this beer tastes amazing.

It has settled now and is the same beer pour after pour. At this point, I think the nose has settled into tropical floral with a grapefruit and dank pine in the background. It's very floral, people that have tried it say it's like tropical fruit punch with a side of grapefruit. I think the taste is more towards grapefruit than I'd like though.

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #732
JSullivan04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Buddy of mine just came back from an 8 hour round trip to snag some on canning day. Having one now and all I can say is this stuff is absolutely amazing, pumped out of my mind you guys are cloning it. Thank you!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #733
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSullivan04 View Post
Buddy of mine just came back from an 8 hour round trip to snag some on canning day. Having one now and all I can say is this stuff is absolutely amazing, pumped out of my mind you guys are cloning it. Thank you!
If you brew you should save the yeast if you haven't finished the can off yet.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #734
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Here are my results with Conan on 3 attempts, 2 clones, and one regular IPA. I crashed Clone 1 once reaching 1.010, let the IPA go on it's own and it hit 1.008, and have just reached 1.010 with attempt 3, will give it one day and see if it goes lower before crashing.

-Retired Homebrewer

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #735
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSullivan04 View Post
You should compensate all of us for our efforts. One can is all I ask.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #736
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 76

You guys seem to be getting better attenuation then me with Conan so far. My Heady clone went from 1.072 to 1.014. I am still waiting for my second beer with Conan to finish.

I gave a big slurry to my LHBS guys to work with, hopefully they report back with some more data on the strain. I think they are waiting to taste my beer before they use it though, which should be by Super Bowl Sunday.

I pulled the last stage of dry hops the other day and put it on gas, the entire room smelled amazing for a few hours. Big peach, mango and pineapple notes engulfed the room. Really the most aromatic beer I have ever brewed. I am so anxious for this beer to be in my belly.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #737
pjdunn11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Here are my results with Conan on 3 attempts, 2 clones, and one regular IPA. I crashed Clone 1 once reaching 1.010, let the IPA go on it's own and it hit 1.008, and have just reached 1.010 with attempt 3, will give it one day and see if it goes lower before crashing.
theveganbrewer: I took a look through your blog and Heady recipe. Looks really good, just one piece of feedback. 1 mL of Hopshot provides 10 ibu in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort. Given that the Heady clone's OG is 1.070, you probably need to add more like 8 or 9 mL to achieve 60 ibu (rather than 6 mL). There's a conversion chart on the paperwork that comes with the hopshot, I just don't have one near me.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #738
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdunn11 View Post
theveganbrewer: I took a look through your blog and Heady recipe. Looks really good, just one piece of feedback. 1 mL of Hopshot provides 10 ibu in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort. Given that the Heady clone's OG is 1.070, you probably need to add more like 8 or 9 mL to achieve 60 ibu (rather than 6 mL). There's a conversion chart on the paperwork that comes with the hopshot, I just don't have one near me.
This chart?

hopshot.pdf <-- quick download the chart here

FWIW, I went with just over 6 mls. Wort sample tasted plenty bitter, I'll report on the fermented sample in a few days.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #739
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdunn11 View Post
Appreciate the feedback, I am just going off the chart I got with my hop extract product, which said at 1.070, 6mL was 60IBU. The chart says anything 1.070 and under needs the same, then from 1.080-1.100 it needs a little more, than 1.110-1.150 a little more.

According to the chart, the most accurate number would probably be around 6.06mL for 1.071.

-Retired Homebrewer

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #740
pjdunn11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Appreciate the feedback, I am just going off the chart I got with my hop extract product, which said at 1.070, 6mL was 60IBU. The chart says anything 1.070 and under needs the same, then from 1.080-1.100 it needs a little more, than 1.110-1.150 a little more.

According to the chart, the most accurate number would probably be around 6.06mL for 1.071.
That'll teach me to go from memory!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply