Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #581
Padalac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A colleague of mine, in all earnest, about a batch of beer I brewed for my office Christmas party:
"oh you actually brewed this beer? I thought you just bought the beer and changed the label"

Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #582
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
The market sets its price the way all markets do. Imagine yourself selling widgets for $1 and people are flocking to buy them that you can't make them fast enough. You'll quickly realize you should raise your price. When you raise it so high that you have widgets left over, you'll lower your price. And you'll constantly repeat this as supply and demand fluctuate. Your grocer selling beer does the same thing, only they have lots of experience to set the initial price more accurately.

The cost of producing the beer never enters into the market's pricing. The grocer doesn't call the brewer and ask for the marginal cost of the beer. The grocer simply knows what their market will pay. Sale pricing is evidence that the grocer made a mistake, not that the contents of the beer changed.

And the same bottle costs less elsewhere (even though the contents of the bottle are unchanged). And notice that he didn't have to pay it. Enough people do that and the price will drop (even though the contents of the bottle are unchanged). This is what most people misunderstand, they think sellers somehow can force people to buy what they're selling. If they had that power, why isn't that bottle $10 or $1000 or $1000000? Because prices (in a free market) are set solely by supply and demand, not by things like cost of ingredients.

Again, if beer was priced based on cost to make it, why aren't brewers trying to spend more money to make a beer rather than always trying to cut costs? Because they don't have the luxury to set price based on their cost.
Where'd you learn econ? I think this post speaks for itself and does not merit a rebuttal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #583
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Where are the moderators when you need them???

Please start a different thread for your economics argument. Pretty basic thread manners.....

Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #584
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
The cost of producing the beer never enters into the market's pricing. The grocer doesn't call the brewer and ask for the marginal cost of the beer. The grocer simply knows what their market will pay. Sale pricing is evidence that the grocer made a mistake, not that the contents of the beer changed.
No. Sale pricing is a direct result of the manufacturer offering an ad allowance to the retailer and is willing to cut into their profit for the sale period in order to showcase the product to the market.

Back on topic, though... I heard today that people were buying Westy 12 for $15 a 33cl bottle! Ha!

(Irony of my "funny things" comment intended)

Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #585
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts

Can you please PM each other with this economic shiz! Everyone else wants to tell and read funny stories.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #586
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Troy, don't pm me again. You want to keep making the same condescending insult to everyone reading this thread, do it public. I don't look down on a waitress, family member, friend, or anyone because they don't know our trivial beer knowledge. We're all beer geeks having a light hearted chuckle. You are not impressing anyone with your over inflated ego. Apparently everyone who knows what you are talking about, thinks you are full of crap. You are an internet troll and I've already wasted too much of my time on this.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #587
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post

Please start a different thread for your economics argument. Pretty basic thread manners.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushife View Post
Can you please PM each other with this economic shiz! Everyone else wants to tell and read funny stories.
Sorry new to internets. He started it.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #588
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 915 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:

The way to get a moderator's attention is to click on the report icon (looks like a little red and white warning sign with an exclamation point in it) and tell us what concerns you about the post.
metanoia Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #589
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Excellent point. Look for my forthcoming sticky on the magic of markets, supply and its determinants, and other astounding economic concepts, as applied to brewing.

But don't hold your breath waiting for it!
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #590
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 915 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
Troy, don't pm me again. You want to keep making the same condescending insult to everyone reading this thread, do it public. I don't look down on a waitress, family member, friend, or anyone because they don't know our trivial beer knowledge. We're all beer geeks having a light hearted chuckle. You are not impressing anyone with your over inflated ego. Apparently everyone who knows what you are talking about, thinks you are full of crap. You are an internet troll and I've already wasted too much of my time on this.
Insulting other members isn't allowed in either the forum or via pm. If you receive a pm that you think is insulting or otherwise offensive, please feel free to forward it to a moderator.

Quick Reply