Finally did my first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
After doing a few dozen ales I finally did my first lager. 24 hours into primary right now. Cant wait to try it

Congrats, I am a huge lager fan. Takes lots of patience, make sure you maintain a pipeline once you've done your first.

Congrats.

Are you controlling the temps? How?

Once it gets about 75-80% of the way to expected FG, raise the temp up to around 62-64*F for 3-5 days to have a D-rest.

For the cold lagering part, one week minimum for every 10 gravity points is a good rule of thumb. A 1.050 lager gets at least 5 weeks in the cold sleep. What happens there is flavor magic.

Congrats.

Are you controlling the temps? How?

Once it gets about 75-80% of the way to expected FG, raise the temp up to around 62-64*F for 3-5 days to have a D-rest.

For the cold lagering part, one week minimum for every 10 gravity points is a good rule of thumb. A 1.050 lager gets at least 5 weeks in the cold sleep. What happens there is flavor magic.

Yep. Back corner of my closet stays at 52-56. I had one of my empty 1 gallon jugs with a fermometer sitting there for two weeks to test it. When the krausen starts to fall I am bringing it to another corner thats sits at about 62-64 and plan to lager it there for another three weeks. So happy I finally get to do a lager. I already have my next two batches ready to make and put in this spot

Yep. Back corner of my closet stays at 52-56. I had one of my empty 1 gallon jugs with a fermometer sitting there for two weeks to test it. When the krausen starts to fall I am bringing it to another corner thats sits at about 62-64 and plan to lager it there for another three weeks. So happy I finally get to do a lager. I already have my next two batches ready to make and put in this spot

Just keep in mind that lagering occurs at near freezing temps, not the 62-64 F you spoke of.

Just keep in mind that lagering occurs at near freezing temps, not the 62-64 F you spoke of.

+1. The lager magic happens when you keep the beer really cold (I do mine at 35*F) for that time period.

I dont know how I have never read that before. Learn someting new every day I suppose. Well I will be conditioning it at that temp then.

Yes, the rise to 64 is for a Diacetyl rest. You do that for a couple days, and then when you are sure you're at FG, rack to a secondary and store it somewhere as cold as you can get it for a month minimum.
I have an Oktoberfest that has been sitting in my cold garage at around 30 for the past 6 weeks. I may bottle that next week. Or may not. The rule with lagering is 'the longer the better'. Just racked my dopplebock yesterday and moved that out there. This one I'll leave alone until it starts getting warm- maybe March. I bottled my Vienna lager after 6 weeks lagering. It carbonated well, but the flavor wasn't perfect for another 3 weeks, and ought to get better and better. Lagers are more work, and take more patience, but IMO they're worth it!

Latest posts

Back