Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Extract beers don't last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
MrMeans
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Extract beers don't last?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have an amber ale a brewed back in the beginning of September. It was tasting fine the past few weeks after bottle conditioning but there is a chemical like taste starting to develop in the bottles. I have had this same flavor happen with all of my extract brews. If I brew all grain that flavor does not show up. I was wondering if this is a common thing or if there is something I can do to "prolong" the shelf life of my beer.

Quick primer on my extract process:
-I use RO water that I add brew salts to that are supplied by my LHBS. hey have them pre mixed and packaged.
-I do full boils and do not top off
-The most recent recipe had three additions of cascade hops. A 1.5 oz 60 minute addition, a 1 oz 15 minute addition, and a .5 oz flame out addition.
-My fermentation is temp controlled and I made it a point to ferment this beer at 67F
-I sanitize everything that comes into contact with my beer post boil using star san at proper dilutions
-All of my extract batches use steeping grains, these were steeping at 155-160 then drained.

I think that should cover the major parts of my process just in case anyone thought it could be bad practices.

Any help is appreciated guys!

Always do drunk what you said you would do sober.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Jamming
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Buddy had a same problem found out it was to high of temps for storing bottled beer. Just a guess ! Me i just drink it sooner. well as soon as its bottled.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
spazzy
Recipes 

I have some from last april or may and some from june that taste awesome

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
MrMeans
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I could drink more I would, but I pull a lot of LONG days thanks to full time job and full time school. I don't feel like drinking a beer when I have been going non stop for 17 hours straight. All I want is a warm place to close my eyes for 8 hours.

Always do drunk what you said you would do sober.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Timaithis
Recipes 

I would think that you are allowing either too much light into the beer or storing it at too high of a temperature. Both produce a reaction with your beer causing off flavour to occur. Or you could have a problem with the storage life of your LME or DME. DME last longer. And it may not be your fault but where you got it from not being fresh enough.

Quick Reply