Chicago - Best brewpubs to see

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
Im going to Chicago at the end of the month for the sielbel "start your own brewery" course.

I'm looking for some advice as to what the best brewpubs in town are?

Also looking for some advice on the "must do's" and "must eat". I know Chicago style pizza is a must but which places serve the best? Then there is the Chicago Style Hot dog..

Thanks guys.

Owen and Engine is a really nice English style brew pub. They usually have two or three cask beers to try as well as other good ones.

Map Room is another iconic place.

Go across the border over to Indiana a little ways and get over to Three Floyd's. Their brewpub is...interesting...but their beers are really great.

Since you'll be a brewery student, I'd recommend going to Two Brothers and checking out the brewhouse they just bought in Aurora, IL. It used to belong to Walter Payton. They have a really cool open brewhouse and they give tours, or at least I think they still do. One of the greatest places in the area to drink a good beer. I call it "beer mecca."

The best Chicago-style pizza experience is where it all started - Pizzeria Uno on the corner of Ohio and Wabash.

Too many different good hot dog places to choose just one. Some people prefer their dogs to have a lot of "snap" to their casings, others don't.

Piece (for better pizza than that Chicago stuffed junk (sorry, I'm just not a fan!))

Goose Island is great, and I've heard great things about Haymarket. I know there are others, but I don't have experience with them.

If you're interested to scope out of the realm of brewpubs, The Map Room and Hopleaf have great reputations as well.

I was at Weber's grill not long ago and I have NEVER had a better beer can chicken or chicken for that matter. I have never had wished I had ordered the chicken instead of a dry aged cooked to perfection Porterhouse before. That chicken is EPIC!!! Call ahead for reservations or you may not get a seat. It is a buniness casual enviorment and they have a nice craft beer selection.

Another place I went on my trip was Miller's Pub. They have a HUGE beer selection (a bit pricey) and good food.

If you really want a differenrt dining experience check out Ed Debevit's. It is a 50's nostalgia diner with a twist.

Oh my, this could turn into one of those ugly conversations we have here in the city, since you asked about both beer AND pizza...

For starters, pizza. Someone mentioned Piece. The pizza itself is really good, but it's NOT Chicago style pizza. If that's what you want, then don't go to Piece. Also, if you DO go to Piece, don't order their beers. They are awful. Probably the worst brewpub beer I've had in my life. If you're looking for Chicago style, my recommendation is Lou Malnati's. Uno's in OK, Giordano's is passable, but Lou Malnati's is the best in the city.

And why are you being mean and trying to have the poor guy go to Ed Debevic's? The food is awful, the beer selection is worse, and the entire point of going is for the waitress to insult you.

I would second going to the Roundhouse if you can. It's actually a very easy trip even if you aren't driving (especially if you aren't) as it's right off of a Metra station. Two Brothers makes some great beers and the food is really good. Another suburban place is the Geneva Ale House. Always a great beer selection, and really good food too.

In the city, for beer folks, it's best to get out of the Loop. The two must hit places for a beer person, in the city, are Hopleaf and Fountainhead. Food at both is great, and awesome beer selection at both places also.

I would second going to the Roundhouse if you can. It's actually a very easy trip even if you aren't driving (especially if you aren't) as it's right off of a Metra station. Two Brothers makes some great beers and the food is really good. Another suburban place is the Geneva Ale House. Always a great beer selection, and really good food too.

I haven't made it to the Roundhouse since Two Brother's took over, but if it's anything like the Tap House at the brewery, it'll be great.

I second Haymarket Brewery at the corner of Halsted and Randolph. There are some good restaurants within a block if you don't want to eat there, only drink.

Oh my, this could turn into one of those ugly conversations we have here in the city, since you asked about both beer AND pizza...

For starters, pizza. Someone mentioned Piece. The pizza itself is really good, but it's NOT Chicago style pizza. If that's what you want, then don't go to Piece. Also, if you DO go to Piece, don't order their beers. They are awful. Probably the worst brewpub beer I've had in my life.

Wow. The beers I had at Piece were fantastic - they make a great Kolsch, IMO.

Everything I've had from Two Brothers has been borderline mediocre. The recent version of Heavy Handed was very disappointing.

Wow. The beers I had at Piece were fantastic - they make a great Kolsch, IMO.

Everything I've had from Two Brothers has been borderline mediocre. The recent version of Heavy Handed was very disappointing.

I had the Kolsch when I was there recently. Maybe it's gotten worse since you had it, but it tasted like a bad version of Miller Lite. The girls I was with that only drink Miller Lite LOVED it though. I had their Bock which was below average. They had an Egyptian Pale Ale that was just plain bad, the Octoberfest they were serving was flat and bland, and their IPA had no hoppiness to it whatsoever. The only beer I can say anything good about there was the hefeweizen. I'm not a fan of the style, but I'll say that they did a good job with it.

In re Two Brothers, I haven't tried this years Heavy Handed, so I can't speak to it. I absolutely LOVE Hop Juice, their IIPA, but it's seasonal, not available right now. Domaine DuPage is a really nice farmhouse style ale, and Cane and Ebel is another good stock beer that I keep at home. All in all I'd say they are one of the better breweries in the area.

I suggest kuma's corner. It's a heavy metal burger and shot place that's crowded and loud. Not a brew pub pizza or hotdog place. But everyone already mentioned the places to go for that. And kuma's burgers are awesome!
Hotdogs: Any Portillos will work for that.
But, While in town get an Italian beef sandwich. I've learned that this isn't known too far out of Chicago. Good stuff.

And why are you being mean and trying to have the poor guy go to Ed Debevic's? The food is awful, the beer selection is worse, and the entire point of going is for the waitress to insult you.

For the record I was recommending Ed's as a different dinning experience (which it obviously is). I actually had a LOT of fun when I was there. True it is not "to die for" great food, it is a 50's nostalgia diner. I am suprised they even have beer there...lol.

I will be heading down to Chicago in December and will be taking the wife to Weber's for the chicken.

For a great beer selections, I'd also recommend Fountainhead and Bad Apple. The bonus of Bad Apple is they have great burgers too. If you're in the area of Fountainhead and Bad Apple (Northcenter), you can also swing by one of Chicago's cooler local breweries, Half Acre. All are within a couple blocks of each other. They are a quick brown line ride from downtown.

I had the Kolsch when I was there recently. Maybe it's gotten worse since you had it, but it tasted like a bad version of Miller Lite. The girls I was with that only drink Miller Lite LOVED it though. I had their Bock which was below average. They had an Egyptian Pale Ale that was just plain bad, the Octoberfest they were serving was flat and bland, and their IPA had no hoppiness to it whatsoever. The only beer I can say anything good about there was the hefeweizen. I'm not a fan of the style, but I'll say that they did a good job with it.

In re Two Brothers, I haven't tried this years Heavy Handed, so I can't speak to it. I absolutely LOVE Hop Juice, their IIPA, but it's seasonal, not available right now. Domaine DuPage is a really nice farmhouse style ale, and Cane and Ebel is another good stock beer that I keep at home. All in all I'd say they are one of the better breweries in the area.

Definitely possible - I was there last year at some point. And I forgot about Cane and Ebel - that is a great beer.

Check out the Revolution Brewing Co. (revbrew.com). I had a great time there the last time I was in Chicago and their food is good.

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses.. I'll report back on how everything was..

If you want the best hot dog ever, you have to go to Gene & Jude's in River Grove.

I like Two Brothers beer, but the Roundhouse is awful. Bad service, mediocre food, pretty much the same beers you can get at any liquor store. No reason to go.

Revolution Brewing Co. is good, try the Bacon Fat Popcorn.
The Berghoff is always a great place to visit.
Forget the deep dish pizza and head to Nick & Vito's.

Owen and Engine is a really nice English style brew pub. They usually have two or three cask beers to try as well as other good ones.

Map Room is another iconic place.

Go across the border over to Indiana a little ways and get over to Three Floyd's. Their brewpub is...interesting...but their beers are really great.

Since you'll be a brewery student, I'd recommend going to Two Brothers and checking out the brewhouse they just bought in Aurora, IL. It used to belong to Walter Payton. They have a really cool open brewhouse and they give tours, or at least I think they still do. One of the greatest places in the area to drink a good beer. I call it "beer mecca."

The best Chicago-style pizza experience is where it all started - Pizzeria Uno on the corner of Ohio and Wabash.

Too many different good hot dog places to choose just one. Some people prefer their dogs to have a lot of "snap" to their casings, others don't.

Walter Payton? I hope this isn't a stupid question...

Some good replies in this thread. I am extremely partial to Revolution Brewing, because it's my local brew pub. The beer is great and the food might even be better. A couple of my neighbors work at Haymarket, and I've enjoyed the beer there, but I can't comment on the food.

For outstanding beer selection, even if they are not brewpubs, Hopleaf and the Map Room are great. Hopleaf has good food, but the Map Room doesn't have food (it's in a neighborhood with a lot of restaurants, however). Someone else mentioned Owen and Engine. Also a great bar, with excellent English pub food, and they have a rotating selection of 4 cask beers.

Hope you enjoy your time in the Windy City!

-Adam

How freaking cold is it going to be at the end of the month being that it's right on the lake? In general...

How freaking cold is it going to be at the end of the month being that it's right on the lake? In general...

Well I live about 3 blocks west of Lake Michigan. This morning the low was 27 up by me. The further off the lake you get, especially downtown, the warmer it gets, adding a couple of degrees, thanks to all the buildings and asphalt. But it will probably still be pretty cold. Late November, and we haven't had a real snow yet this year...Once it hits, it'll hit hard. All the more reason to drink!

"Interesting" is a nice way of putting it. The place is a dump but you are correct about the beers.

For pola0502ds:

+1 for Revolution. Really a great place. Also, Flossmoor Station is really good but it's about a 45 minute drive south from the Siebel Institute.

For good deep dish The Art of Pizza on N. Ashland is hard to beat.

Lou Malnatti's is my favorite, started by the head chef of the original Uno's after a falling out. Their butter crust is delish.

pola0502ds said:
Walter Payton? I hope this isn't a stupid question...

The Chicago Bears' best RB since Sayers. (local legend, like Ditka, Buffone, and Butkis).

Forgot to +1 to Goose Island. Is Berghoff still around?

Not a brew pub, but my favorite neighborhood bar is Jakes on Clark and Lakeview. Pretty solid beer selection, nice comfortable atmosphere, good people behind the bar.

Might also check out rocking horse in Logan square, solid beer selection and they run some pretty good specials on their draft beers from what I remember.

Map Room has a great beer list, and it's in a sorta spiffy hipster neighborhood. One of my ancestors actually lived in a house about 3 doors down from it (back when it was a working class Polish neighborhood).

The Goose Island Claybourn location is interesting, but there's no parking and since (as far as I know) they're not brewing on premise anymore, it might be less interesting. Still, you're likely to find beer here they don't sell in the stores.

Two Brothers is a hike, but also interesting. If you somehow find yourself with a car, in the wilds of suburbia, there's a spiffy little restaurant called the Bavarian Lodge (in Lisle). Generic-looking family-style place with good German comfort food and an amazing beer list. Whenever I'm in town visiting family I aways stop there for "girls night out" with some old pals of mine (3 of us are serious beer geeks). They're closed on odd nights of the week (Mondays I think) so look them up online if you're interested.

As far as pizza goes, I second the nod for Malnatti's. They're a local "chain" - so you're more likely to find one near where you are. There are a few places scattered throughout suburbia that are also good, but Malnatti's is consistant and gooooood. Definitely order the butter crust, and don't go too overboard on toppings - something gets lost in translation when you overdo it.

There's also a million different places you can get a good Chicago-style hotdog. Remember, a true Chicago style hotdog does NOT have ketchup - and if you ask for it you'll look like a tourist :)

I also highly recommend something that isn't always associated with Chicago, but it should be - and that's Mexican food! Sometimes the best little hole-in-the-wall places have fresh tamales, fresh salsa, and fantastic burritos (and fresh tamales are a true delicacy IMHO).

Have fun!

Gino's East for a cool (and good) Chicago pizza experience.
Not far away Rock Bottom Brewery (State & Grand Ave) had a nice roof top bar and good selection of beers. Though down stairs at this time of year might be the go.

Goose Island (wrigleyville), Lou Malnoti's Pizza, and Portillo's for chicago style dogs, italian beef etc.

All are fantastic !!

Visiting some family in Chicago a few weeks ago, my Father and I went out to Two Brothers. Absolutely zero advertising on the outside of the building, and it's tucked away in what looks like a commercial/industrial park area. Not even a sign out in the parking lot, but the place was slammed with people. Free tours, and free beer after the tour was a nice bonus. The beer and food were excellent.

Back