Brew day gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
Brewing an all grain traditional Helles yesterday and EVERYTHING that could go wrong did. Started last week with the wrong hops and dead yeast coming in the mail. I drove 3 hours to get hallertau and new yeast from JustBrew It in Jacksonville (great LHBS!) so I could still brew this weekend.

-I dumped 30 lbs of grain on my kitchen floor.
-forgot to close a valve and covered my foot in sparge water.
-realized I added an oz too much of hops during boil.
-the dump valve on my conical broke so I had to just seal the bottom in order to get it in the fermenter
-inadvertently froze my two kegs of porter during the whole process.
-not only dropped the lid gasket of my conical into 15 gal of wort, but my wedding ring slipped off as I was trying to fish it out....they are both staying there for a month until I transfer!

To top it all off, when I walked out of my brew shed after this abomination of a brew day, the neighborhood cat was laying dead in the middle of the yard. You can't make this stuff up, Murphy is a *****.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Holy Mother of God, man. I think you have earned yourself some major brew-karma.

Oy, what a day!

I can not come close on my "worst brew day's".

The good thing is that its in the rear view mirror now and you can smile thinking about it.

Cheers,

Sheldon

I imagine we've all had terrible brew days, maybe without the dead cat.
I bet the beer turns out well and next brew day this will all be a distant memory.

JesusMaryandJoseph! Did you go the last 10 years with ZERO bad luck, only to have it all happen to you at ounce?

That's the kind of day that would make a top-10 country song!

Sorry everything went to hell with your brew day. But it's a good thing you're documenting it here.

I mean if it turns out to be the BEST beer ever, you'll want to be able to repeat the process step by step. ;)

I mean if it turns out to be the BEST beer ever, you'll want to be able to repeat the process step by step. ;)

Finding a dead cat on a regular basis may be tough........

Back