Boil off question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I have no idea what I did but somehow I ended up with about a gal. more wort than I should have after my boil last week. Not a problem, I just let it boil down, about another 30 minutes for a total of about 90 minutes in the boil. Didn't give it a second thought until last night when I started asking myself what effect the extra boiling time may have had. The only thing that I could come up with is possibly some additional caramalization. Any thoughts?

I have no idea what I did but somehow I ended up with about a gal. more wort than I should have after my boil last week. Not a problem, I just let it boil down, about another 30 minutes for a total of about 90 minutes in the boil. Didn't give it a second thought until last night when I started asking myself what effect the extra boiling time may have had. The only thing that I could come up with is possibly some additional caramalization. Any thoughts?

Boiling longer will also give higher hop utilization so you may end up with a beer that's a tad more hoppy than you intended. Although there will be less difference for 60 min. hop additions than later additions.

Boiling longer will also give higher hop utilization so you may end up with a beer that's a tad more hoppy than you intended. Although there will be less difference for 60 min. hop additions than later additions.

DAH!!! never even thought of that, turned my flavor and aroma hops into bittering. Have to think about that for a while, can take care of aroma with dry hop but the flavor....not sure what to do about that.

DAH!!! never even thought of that, turned my flavor and aroma hops into bittering. Have to think about that for a while, can take care of aroma with dry hop but the flavor....not sure what to do about that.

Just add more to the dry hop. So much of flavor perception is aroma anyhow. It'll be fine.

There is virtually no additional hop utilization past 60 min. And temps in the kettle don't get high enough to caramelize the wort.

Back