Beer color change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruwsomtin

Reaction score
I brewed my first IPA not long ago. Everyting was fine with it until after about a month in the keg. The IPA had a nice orangish hue to it but then turned to a brownish rotten banna color. The beer still tastes like it did when younger, but the color is nasty. Was wondering if IPA's needed consumed early after production or if the beer just oxidized from all the hop oils from dry hopping.

I've had a beer get lighter over time, but never had it change shades over time that I can think of anyway. No flavor change? If not, don't believe it's an oxidation issue. I think you would notice a fading of hop character and a sharpness at the edge of the tongue if oxidation was in play to that extent.

I've seen beers get darker from oxidation, but there are typically also some flavor changes from the oxidation. Depending on what is in the beer and what gets oxidated plays a factor in color and flavor changes.

Latest posts

Back