adding fermentables to my primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
So, i moved recently and am getting used to my new stove etc. i also am still getting used to my mash tun that i have used about 5 or 6 times. Needless to say i missed my og, by alot... It was suppose to be close to 1.064 and ended up at .055 . my starter was built to do around 1.065 i added 9.5 oz to this beer to make what i hoped was a hop bomb. So i would like to add some fermentables that will increase my og and flavor without drying out my beer. Id hate to use dme for the slight "fake" taste i detect when i drink it. But is that the best way? All grain 13 lbs ( should have used more) 1056 yeast. Ipa. Thank you sorry for the novel. Ps its been 24 hours since i started fermentation. When is it too late to fix this?

Add fermentables at any time during fermentation, just add something that is close to your recipe in the amount of unfermentables and it shouldn't be too dry. Have you addressed the underlying problem of your mash yet?

Im thinking it was the crush mostly. New lhbs. Also new water supply. Didnt check the ph. Thanks.

1.055 is not bad.

Are you saying 9.5oz of hops? if so that is quite a bit for 1.055 (and I live on the West Coast) he he

The big concern, for me, would be how much bittering hops (as opposed to late hops)

You could add some DME and it would not be detectable. I am pretty sure there wouldn't be a "fake" taste adding 1-2 pounds.
I would do that or just leave it as is. It will be great either way.

m1k3 said:
1.055 is not bad.

Are you saying 9.5oz of hops? if so that is quite a bit for 1.055 (and I live on the West Coast) he he

The big concern, for me, would be how much bittering hops (as opposed to late hops)

You could add some DME and it would not be detectable. I am pretty sure there wouldn't be a "fake" taste adding 1-2 pounds.
I would do that or just leave it as is. It will be great either way.

I used some dme i had for bottling. And the 9.5 oz of hops were all put in, in the last 20 mins. Starting with low alpha hops like Willamette and finishing with a high alpha, like summit. The last five additions being in the 5min to F.O. Range. When i opened the fermenter to add the dme it smelled like one of the local hop monsters that are on the market here in MA.

Back