1" clearance enough for a wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poobaca

Reaction score
Just ordered a 8 gallon tall boy kettle. Measures 15 inches to the rim. Would a wort chiller with a 1" clearance be enough to prevent the tubes from melting? Dont really want to spend the extra money to get one of those ones that are 24". Has anyone successfully tried bending theres to give it a extra inch or 2 of space?

The one inch may be enough. Wrap sanitized aluminum foil around the hoses at the rim for insulation and added peace of mind.

Copper won't melt, will it? 1" is fine. You won't be able to move it much but as long as you have room to stir, you should be okay.

Not sure about the need for foil.

Copper won't melt, will it? 1" is fine. You won't be able to move it much but as long as you have room to stir, you should be okay.

Not sure about the need for foil.

Not the copper, mines stainless anyways:rockin: Was worried about the vinyl hoses.

I melted my chiller tubes today. Not because of clearance issues, just wasn't paying attention. An inch has always been fine for me until I let the tubes hit the burner.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back