You Bastids.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
You drove me to brew when I promised myself I'd stop. It'd almost been 2 weeks. Almost. I was planning on a nice relaxing weekend...then I see the obligatory "are you brewing this weekend" thread this morning. So I kick it into 5th gear, get 3 days worth of work done in 3 hours, and am home by 1:45. Mashed in by 2:30. In the fermenter by 5:30. Oxygenated and pitched by 6:15. Out to dinner at L'Etoile by 6:30.

You see? You see what you guys do? You're a bad influence.

Thanks! :D

Now I have 5 gallons of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout downstairs. :ban:

Too addictive...

This is batch #46. Wonder what I'm gonna do for batch #50. Gotta do something monumental!

I've got something I really want to try, but I'm not quite advanced enough to do it. I have my second ever batch in the primary, but need more money/bottles to do another.

how hot do you want it to be? I've had Rogue's chipotle and it wasn't hot at all...and I've had real jalapeno beer that made my mouth burn. Which you trying for?

between medium and bawling your eyes out. enough to notice the jalapeno for sure.

Evan! said:
how hot do you want it to be? I've had Rogue's chipotle and it wasn't hot at all...and I've had real jalapeno beer that made my mouth burn. Which you trying for?

I agree on the Rogue... I like Rogue, but their "Chiplote" just didn't do it for me. And I'm kinda weak when it comes to spicy food. I really wanted a bit more heat!

I want to start formulating my own recipes, but again...I don't have much experience, and other than reading books (I don't know the good ones...other than joy of homebrewing), I don't know how to learn.

musikguru6 said:
I want to start formulating my own recipes, but again...I don't have much experience, and other than reading books (I don't know the good ones...other than joy of homebrewing), I don't know how to learn.

Designing Great Beers and
How to Brew should do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Evan I'm sitting here with three fermenters going wishing I had something else to brew. This truly is a sickness.

On the bright side though, I found out my "red Tail" Ale clone taste good after four 5.5 abv hefe wiezens!:drunk: I'd just about given up on this one.

Hell compared to many commercial brews, its damn good!

Regards,
Alan W.

ultimately, I'd like to start formulating my own recipes, but right now, other then reading books (the only one i've got now is joy of homebrewing) I don't know how to learn.

musikguru6 said:

Brewing software helps a great deal. There's web-based ones out there for free if you don't want to pony up the ca$h for the pay ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6

Well, what I do is find a recipe I like and then tweak it a little to my taste. Tastybrew.com has some recipe calculators that are fun to play around with, have fun!:ban:

I have two keg conditioning and 4 in fermenters. 1 of those will be in the keg real soon another in the bottles. Gonna be brewing tommorow and Sunday. That will be 40 gallons of beer in one form or another on hand, not to mention over 150lbs of grain in the closet to help with next weekend.

WOOOOOOO!1OO11!!!!!OOO!O!O!Oone11!!!!!!!!

So, as is standard operating procedure, I've got pictures and stuff to post.

One thing I've noticed over time: the more side-by-side double-batch brew sessions you do, the easier and easier single batches become. My last brew session, I did two all-grains side-by-side, and even with the help of iamjonshard and briancsa, it took a pretty long time and need constant attention.

But this batch, it took a mere 4 hours from the first flame under the strike water to the pitching. That's not too damn bad in my book...I'm usually over 6!

Anyway, as I said earlier, I did 3 days worth of work in 3 hours, scrambled to get home by 1:45, and got a variation of Lagunitas' Cappuccino Stout goin'...

Mashed in (in the kettle; the picnic cooler is empty waiting for drain/sparge):

4914-csmash1.JPG

4914-csmash2.JPG

A pile o' hops, ready to roll:

4914-cshops.JPG

And a nice rolling boil:

4914-csboil.JPG

After 75 minutes of boiling, I hit my target volume and began the chilling. The SS MLT is sanitizing while awaiting the draining into the carboy:

4914-cschill.JPG

The dogs aren't much help:

4914-csdogs.JPG

4914-csxan.JPG

All went well. About 80% efficiency. Pitched rehydrated US-05, had activity the next morning. She's been chugging away ever since (there's a real storm in a teacup inside that carboy...) This is this morning:

4914-csferment.JPG

Who knew that I'd be hitting 4 hours for an all-grain batch? I'm thrilled!

Looks good, Evan. What did you use to get the cappuccino flavor in it? I'm guessing real cappuccino, but thought I'd ask.

What is the intended meaning of the oft-penned term "Bastids" on this forum. Is it just a bad spelling of "bastards" or does it have a different meaning?

ohiobrewtus said:
Looks good, Evan. What did you use to get the cappuccino flavor in it? I'm guessing real cappuccino, but thought I'd ask.

Nothing yet. I'll add freshly brewed/cooled espresso to the secondary. No, I won't be adding actual cappuccino, as I doubt that the milk would agree with the beer :D

coyotlgw said:
What is the intended meaning of the oft-penned term "Bastids" on this forum. Is it just a bad spelling of "bastards" or does it have a different meaning?

Nah, just an intentional, phonetic misspelling of 'bastard'.

Evan! said:
Nothing yet. I'll add freshly brewed/cooled espresso to the secondary. No, I won't be adding actual cappuccino, as I doubt that the milk would agree with the beer :D

Nah, just an intentional, phonetic misspelling of 'bastard'.

Could use lactose to get that milky flavor.

seefresh said:
Could use lactose to get that milky flavor.

I'm just trying to stick with the BYO Clones recipe for now. I think that Lagunitas calls it "cappuccino" stout because it sounds good, or they had some kind of legal copyright/trademark issue with "coffee" or "java" or "espresso". Who knows. But the recipe calls for mid-range mashing, so they're not trying to finish it out high...and there's no lactose either.

If it needs it, I might add it at bottling. We'll see.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I have two keg conditioning and 4 in fermenters. 1 of those will be in the keg real soon another in the bottles. Gonna be brewing tommorow and Sunday. That will be 40 gallons of beer in one form or another on hand, not to mention over 150lbs of grain in the closet to help with next weekend.

WOOOOOOO!1OO11!!!!!OOO!O!O!Oone11!!!!!!!!

Jeez it seemed like only a few months ago that you did your first AG!! Nice!

Yea, sitting on 40 gallons now... well, actually a little less, I tapped into my first two batches yesterday. I only did 3 extracts before going AG... was just too tempting. I don't see how anyone can stay extract for so long.

Back