Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfusaro

Reaction score
Brewed my favorite Porter and wanted to try a bit of vanilla, brew shop suggested adding adding 3 1" pcs. in the boil.
After 10 days in the primary I can detect a faint smell of vanilla coming from the air lock. Anybody else try this method? I was going to add 2 sticks split 10 days prior to kegging. If you can smell it you can probably taste it right?

I'm sure you will be able to taste some but I think you would get a better vanilla flavor by soaking the beans in some vodka for a week or two and then adding to the secondary or at least after primary. I would do it kind of like dry hopping.

Disclaimer: I have never used vanilla but this is how I would do it.

Higher alcohol extracts vanilla flavor more effectively than lower. You get better extraction in vodka than in beer.

I cut/scrape a couple of beans and put them in a jar with a few ozs of vodka, and leave them until I need to use it. I have some that has been sitting for about 4 months now. Will not go off, but will get stronger (to an extent).

I usually add them (and the vodka) to secondary, or primary after main fermentation is over if I am not using a secondary.

Back