Using Safale US-05 First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I'm making a all grain pumpkin ale this Friday and would like some input on using Safale US-05. I haven't used a dry yeast before and need to know how to use it. 1/4 cup of warm water to dissolve it and then pitch? Thanks in advance for the input.

Thanks for the reassurance, if you were 99.986% I might not have rolled with it! Thanks BigKahuna.

I've had success pitching dry as well, but I rehydrate 99.987% of the time.

Have you ever had problems dry-pitching this yeast?
I've only used it a few times but I just threw it in there and it brought a 1.138 down to 1.044 in a week... and I barely aerated (this SG was a huge overshot but what the hell). The other batches were more reasonable and fermented out very clean without re-hydrating. That said, I'm doing small 1-2 gal batches and using 1/4 to 1/3 of the pouch...

Rehydrate at the same temp you'll be pitching at - I would personally recommend 65°F for a really clean and neutral character. All rehydration does is expand the cell walls, the water doesn't need to be warm, but it does need to be sanitized or better yet, sterile.

Fermentation is good around 65°F, as well.

Have you ever had problems dry-pitching this yeast?
Nope.
It's as reliable as Notty in my experience. The only thing I can say is that if you accidentally pitch it at...say....135F you better continue to cool and re-pitch with a fresh pack.

YES, I pitched it into 135 wort....no It wasn't intentional, yes I did get a new thermometer, NO...It didn't kill ALL of the yeast, YES I do check the temp with my hand now, and yes I did re-pitch the next day, and yes it did come out quite good.

feel free to pitch it dry, I have had activity in around 2 hours without rehydrating.

YES, I pitched it into 135 wort....no It wasn't intentional, yes I did get a new thermometer, NO...It didn't kill ALL of the yeast, YES I do check the temp with my hand now, and yes I did re-pitch the next day, and yes it did come out quite good.

Ha! thermometers. I'll pay 100 bucks for one that won't break.

How does it compare to good ol' notty? I've been meaning to try it.

I just dry pitched US-05 into my last brew and the airlock was bubbling hours later. Usually I just slowly add it to my carboy when I'm draining the brew kettle. The wort is still about 100 degrees when I'm doing this and I've had no problems. It might be a little cooler after it falls through the air and gets swirled around the funnel and what not.

Mike

Back