SuperChiller - Chill Duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHat

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently switched from a plate chiller to a MoreBeer Chiller with Recirculation (WC45A). I used it for the first time this weekend and expected my wort to chill a bit faster, based on reviews and research. Does anyone have experience with this particular chiller or a similar unit?

I cut the boil and began recirculating with my pump and using 65F tap water through the chiller. I went from Boil-120F in 10 minutes, but getting from 120-68 took another 30minutes. So 40 minutes total to chill my wort. Also, there really wasnt much of a whirlpool to speak of as the recirculation tube was just shooting wort into the coils, which didnt cause much movement in the kettle.

I'm using a 20G Blichmann with a hopblocker.

Just wondering if 40 minutes is good, or if others are seeing much better performance from similar setups? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Josh

A lot depends on your cooling water temp... colder will obviously chill faster. I used to use the same setup, but when I moved to a kettle that was much wider than the chiller I experienced the same issue that you are explaining here. I got great performance out of the chiller with my taller narrow kettle where the chilling coils were close to the walls of the kettle and the majority of the wort was in the middle of the coils where the recirculation return was. Once I moved to a kettle that was more square in dimensions I moved to a counterflow and have used that with great success.

Latest posts

Back