The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stuck fermentaion ... update ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Stuck fermentaion ... update ...

I brewed a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, based on a Westvleteren 12 recipe from the Beer Captured book. I started this on Feb 3rd, 2008, and I believe the mistake I made was to transfer it off the yeast cake too early. Even though it had been two weeks in the primary. My OG was 1.108, and either forgot to take a reading when I transfered it, or forgot to write it down. Anyway, I checked the gravity on Apr. 1, 2008, and it was down to 1.035. That was after 6 weeks in the secondary. Looking for a FG around 1.020.

After three more weeks in the secondary, I had NO MOVEMENT !!!!!!! I had a 3787 starter already going. I had propogated this from a bottle of Westmalle dubbel, so I stepped it up to a full gallon starter, and had really good activity. I transfered the brew BACK into the primary, so I would have enough room if any kreusen showed up, and re-pitched the full gallon starter. As of this morning, I have an airlock bubble every 20 - 30 seconds. Pretty good, I think. I am going to let it sit for another 2 or 3 weeks, and see how it is going then.

Just thought I would pass this info along. I think this might even be a real good candidate to wash the yeast, when I finally do transfer it to the secondary.

Later.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Loweface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So, how'd this beer turn out? Are you drinking it now or are you ageing it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply