First lager ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero_gabe

Reaction score
Hey guys! So im doing my first lager ever this weekend. Im well informed on the fermentation, diacetyl rest and lagering temps/time. The question i had was in regards to the lagering. Should I lager in the primary fermentor or should i transfer to secondary after a certain point and lager in that vessel? Or do you guys lager in the keg? Thanks for the advice and input.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on the keg. Get the beer transferred, sealed, and under co2. Then your free to lager until you're satisfied, then start serving it.

Thats what i was originally thinking but I also read that you want it on the yeast as long as possible so it the yeast eat up all the off flavors. How id your beers turn out with your methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lagering just drops out the suspended yeast. You're not going to see any yeast activity at lagering temperatures.

I always cool my wort 5 - 6 degrees below my targeted fermentation temperature, pitch a large active starter, and then keep it at the target temperature. That pretty much eliminate all potential off-flavors.

Back