disadvantages of adding camden to every batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill42

Reaction score
what are the disadvantages of adding camden tablets to the keg at transfering if planning on force carbing

Welllll, I'd turn that around. What would be the advantage?

I use sulfites in my wine, but I can't see any possible advantage to sulfiting a beer. You've got the co2 as an antioxidant, so the sulfiting as an antioxidant wouldnt' be a reason.

well the advantage would zero chance of any infection....assuming one hadden began already

well the advantage would zero chance of any infection....assuming one hadden began already

Not necessarily. Chilling the beer would have just a great effect as using sulfites, as most infections can't grow in fridge temps. But sulfites aren't a cure-all, and can't kill every microbe that may or may not be infecting a beer. So, "zero chance of infection" is an incorrect assumption.

well i meant assuming you had not had an infection so far.....and are transfering to a keg to age a little at room temp but are not carbing yet....adding the camden would kill and perserve any chances of bret right?

Sulfites don't always agree with people I get migraines if I drink more than a glass of wine there is a winery near here that has some sulfite free wine i know that the skins contain sulfites so we see. My.02 would be just make sure you keep keg and equipment CLEAN no problems.

The yeast and alcohol you have in your beer will keep most of the bad stuff from infecting your beer. You do not need sulfur for this. Just clean and sanitize your keg as you would with bottles, and you will be fine, even at room temperature. A keg is just a big bottle.

Campden tablets usually have a different purpose, for example:
* when making cider, it is used to kill the natural yeast of apple juice before fermenting it so that the yeast you introduce will take over.
* it is also used to stop the fermentation before it ends, for example to keep a cider sweet instead of letting the yeast dry it out.

well i meant assuming you had not had an infection so far.....and are transfering to a keg to age a little at room temp but are not carbing yet....adding the camden would kill and perserve any chances of bret right?

If you are this worried about infection, you should look at ALL your other sanitizing habits first.

If you aren't introducing infection sources you don't need to treat the finished beer for infection.

Its like taking antibiotics when you aren't sick...worthless.

Back