Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I'm making my first lager right now. Its been in the primary at 46-47 for 3 weeks now. I was reading on the web page of the LHBS I go to (mainbrew.com) that you can do a diacetyl rest by bringing it back to the mid 60s to finish the primary. It says that its more trouble than is worth. Opinions?

I'm making my first lager right now. Its been in the primary at 46-47 for 3 weeks now. I was reading on the web page of the LHBS I go to (mainbrew.com) that you can do a diacetyl rest by bringing it back to the mid 60s to finish the primary. It says that its more trouble than is worth. Opinions?

Bringing it up for a diacetyl rest more trouble than it's worth? I don't see how. Having a butter bomb would definitely be far worse than raising the temperature!

I'd do the diacetyl rest, even if it wasn't a strain of yeast that was a notorious diacetyl producer, and then rack and begin the lagering phase.

No harm will come to the beer by doing a diacetyl rest as a matter of course, but not doing one may be a big mistake.

I feel so bad whenever I see someone posting a "Help me with my butterbeer" thread. It really convinces me that D-rests are well worth it. Until you know your yeast strain very well, it is cheap insurance.

I'm on my first lager too. I'm planning on a d rest. With a temp controller, it's pretty easy to just raise the temp for a few days.

Some say that starting low and keeping low will prevent the D, while starting high and dropping the temp will require a D-rest.

Either way, there is not reason to fear doing one. Having a buttery lager is just not a good beer.

For myself, I cooled my starter to fermentation temp, and chilled the wort down to fermentation temp right after brewing, then pitched and kept at fermentation temp the whole time and skipped the d-rest and went straight to lagering. I don't detect any buttery flavor.

I do think I taste some fruity flavors that I think came from underpitching. Next batch is a light lager. Building an American Yeast strain now. Much different flavor expectations than the Oktoberfest I brewed as my first lager.

When you do a d rest do you slowly raise the temp or do you just pull it out of the cold?

When you do a d rest do you slowly raise the temp or do you just pull it out of the cold?

I just set the controller to 68*F and let it warm naturally. It still takes quite awhile to fully warm up, like 24 hours or so depending on the ambient temps. I see no reason not to do the D rest and it's really no trouble. It only requires patience like most other aspects of brewing.

Catt22 said:
I just set the controller to 68*F and let it warm naturally. It still takes quite awhile to fully warm up, like 24 hours or so depending on the ambient temps. I see no reason not to do the D rest and it's really no trouble. It only requires patience like most other aspects of brewing.

I dont have a controller...i have a wine fridge lol. So should I just shut it off and let it climb back to room temp by itself or turn it down little at a time until its back to room temp?

I dont have a controller...i have a wine fridge lol. So should I just shut it off and let it climb back to room temp by itself or turn it down little at a time until its back to room temp?

I would just turn it off. AFAIK, there's not advantage to allowing the beer to warm more gradually.

I've always been told that ideally you should preform your D-rest before primary fermentation is complete; as I understand it should be started with about 1/3 to 1/4 of primary fermentation remaining.

That being said, I had an experience fermenting an Oktoberfest where I performed the D-rest with about a 1/4 of primary fermentation remaining, but even after a week I still perceived a little butter taste. I proceeding with lagering and racked it to bottles. When I later tried a bottle and noticed no dicetyl; seems like the bottle conditioning is where by D-rest actually occurred.

Latest posts

Back