Cooling in pool and hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
I frequently cool my wort prior to pitching in my pool since tap water in Texas can be in eighties and pool gets down to pitching temperature in about 4 hours. I also do it in cold weather to save water. Anyway, I have had zero issues with infection but wonder if my ten minute prior to knock out additions are more like 30 minute additions. Put another way, I am sacrificing the flavor addition?

Results are very good so this is really a technique question

Thanks

Yes, you are still getting some alpha isomerization. There's a paper around somewhere that suggests that your rate drops by half every 10ºC or so. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and many pro breweries do hot whirlpools. The only thing to be mindful of is that you'll need to adjust recipes to get hop levels right.

Yes, you are still getting some alpha isomerization. There's a paper around somewhere that suggests that your rate drops by half every 10ºC or so. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and many pro breweries do hot whirlpools. The only thing to be mindful of is that you'll need to adjust recipes to get hop levels right.

Do you have a link to this paper? I've heard of hop character dropping after packaging with those same parameters, but not of losing isomerization, or aroma pre-chill, by the same measure. I'd be interested to learn something new.

Do you have a link to this paper? I've heard of hop character dropping after packaging with those same parameters, but not of losing isomerization, or aroma pre-chill, by the same measure. I'd be interested to learn something new.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf0481296
(credit to erikpete for the original find)

Certainly hop isomerization rates are tied to temperature, as that's why dry hopping doesn't impart significant bitterness. How accurate these rates are, though, I can't really speculate.

Back