All commercial bottled beer pasturized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
I think this is true. By commerical beer, I am refering to store bought stuff like Becks, Bush, Coors, etc.

Thx.

no there are plenty of unpasteurized beers on the market. just go down to BevMo and look around. i know for a fact that "White Rascal" is unpasteurized.

I'm not sure what you mean. There are lots of commercial beers which you can buy in stores that are not pasteurized. Pretty much all of the big (read, BMC) type beers are, but there are many more beers in the world than what Budweiser makes.

Most beers are pasteurized and/or filtered to remove yeasts. This is particularly true of commercial lagers. However, plenty of beers are not pasteurized or are pasteurized and then have yeasts added back in for bottle conditioning.

So how does one know which beers are and which are not pasturized? Is this printed on the label?

Most Belgians aren't pasteurized.

As I recall, Sam Adams is bottle conditioned.

If the beer is bottle-conditioned then you know it's not pasteurized for sure. However, brewers may filter out the yeast and force-carb.

Most Belgians aren't pasteurized.

As I recall, Sam Adams is bottle conditioned.

If the beer is bottle-conditioned then you know it's not pasteurized for sure. However, brewers may filter out the yeast and force-carb.

No, SA is not bottle conditioned.

Actually some brewers do pasteurize the beer prior to bottling and then bottle condition with different yeasts. That's the way most American wheat beers sold as hefeweizens (e.g. Widmer hefeweizen) are bottled.

No, SA is not bottle conditioned.

Actually some brewers do pasteurize the beer prior to bottling and then bottle condition with different yeasts. That's the way most American wheat beers sold as hefeweizens (e.g. Widmer hefeweizen) are bottled.

Whoops, I'm an idiot; I meant to say Sierra Nevada. :eek:

Not sure why I keep getting those two breweries confused; one is three hours away, the other three days…

ALL, is a mighty broad word....so by your definition the only commercial beers are those beers that are fizzy yellow and taste like pee? That is if they have any flavor at all? :D

Then you probably wouldn't be interested in this list of beers that contain living yeast in the bottle. And not just belgians.

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

OK - so I have two large beer distributor stores near by and none of the beers listed by REVVY as un-pasturized beer are availible for purchase, so I can safely assume, all commercial beers in my area are pasturized.

OK - so I have two large beer distributor stores near by and none of the beers listed by REVVY as un-pasturized beer are availible for purchase, so I can safely assume, all commercial beers in my area are pasturized.

no you can only assume the ones you have checked at those two large stores are pasteurized. also just because it doesn't specifically say its unpasteurized or bottle conditioned doesn't mean that it is pasteurized. i do have to admit that the vast majority of commercial beers seem to be pasteurized.

There has got to be unpasturized beer somewhere in USA!

(Poor joke at your listed location)

I have harvest yeast from some sam adams imperial series (although yeast from a big beer proved to be to stressed to be viable.

I have also harvested yeast from Rouge beers

Coors make Blue Moon, and it is not pasteurized. Or, at least it is not filtered.

Sierra Nevada is not pastuerized. My brother in Cali drinks this religiously and had no idea the yeast was in the bottom of the bottle. He couldn't believe it when I pointed it out to him. I couldn't believe he never noticed. Funny.

Coors make Blue Moon, and it is not pasteurized. Or, at least it is not filtered.

Sierra Nevada is not pastuerized. My brother in Cali drinks this religiously and had no idea the yeast was in the bottom of the bottle. He couldn't believe it when I pointed it out to him. I couldn't believe he never noticed. Funny.

You could always tell him the yeast are loaded with B2 and aids in decreased hang-overs...

In almost any region, Coors' Blue Moon and Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale are available and unpasteurized. I can't think of anywhere in the US where no bottle-conditioned beers are sold, and I've been to Utah, Alabama, and Alaska.

Back